Softball sweeps Saint Joseph’s to take over first place in the Atlantic 10 -

Report: UMass men’s basketball lands Maryland transfer Jaylen Brantley -

UMass baseball takes two out of three in weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse can’t keep pace with Hofstra in road loss -

Senior Columns 2016-2017 -

Q&A with UMass student app creator -

UMass women’s lacrosse squeaks past George Mason 18-17 -

Events in Turkey today echo patterns of Armenian genocide -

LGBTQIA+ Seder discusses oppressed communities gaining insight for the future -

Even crowd-pandering can’t dull the brilliance of Actress’ ‘AZD’ -

UMass Earth Day Festival focuses on local community -

Ten ways to save the environment that will not change your life -

Aakanksha Gupta reflects on her time at the Collegian and UMass -

The Collegian: A place of opportunity where I found home -

There’s no other organization on campus I’d rather be a part of -

Students and community members gather to celebrate science for Earth Day -

Quick Hits: A few standout performances highlight UMass football’s annual spring game -

Northampton cited as city choosing not to comply with ICE -

MASSPIRG hosts seminar on hunger and homelessness -

University Union hosts debate on Electoral College -

Multiple motor vehicle accidents reported in crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

February’s first weekend brought a number of arrests to Amherst, and two motor vehicle accidents in the Amherst area left at least one resident in need of medical attention.

On Friday, Feb. 1 at approximately 7:42 p.m. a motor vehicle occupied by four men was pulled over by police officers. The driver reportedly tried to flee, using side streets as a means of losing the officer. Upon being apprehended and pulled over, alcohol was seen in plain sight by the arresting officer. Summonses for arrest were issued to all four of the occupants for minors in possession of liquor.

Almost six hours later, early Saturday morning, 20-year-old Gregory Eng of Wayland, was arrested by officers after a brief struggle. Eng was witnessed carrying an open container of alcohol near 10 Meadow St. Upon being observed, Eng fled from officers, who then gave chase. His actions were deemed as “causing a risk” according to Amherst Police Detective Jamie Reardon, and Eng was arrested on charges of minor in possession of liquor, open container and disorderly conduct.

Early Sunday morning at 12:05 a.m., at 27 South Whitney St, a male victim was struck in the leg by a passing motor vehicle. The vehicle’s owner fled the scene of the accident, leaving the victim with minor injuries. A 19-year-old Belchertown man was eventually apprehended by police and issued a summons to court for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. The victim was offered medical attention by reporting officers, but refused to go to the hospital.

A half hour later, a fight was reported at 308 North Pleasant St. in front of Cathedral Apartments.  According to police, at least four men were reported to have been in a fight that broke up before police arrived on the scene. At least one of the men had visible injuries, with some minor bleeding from the face. None of the involved parties pressed charges.

Then at 1:18 a.m. that same morning, police at 289 East Pleasant St arrested 19-year-old Nicholas Defusco of Haverhill, for minor in possession of liquor. Defusco was reportedly observed carrying a red plastic cup containing alcohol. After resisting arrest, Defusco was eventually taken to the ground and arrested.

Less than nine hours later, at 9:35 a.m. a motor vehicle was reportedly broken into with larceny occurring. The vehicle contained expensive tools, including a floor-stripper that was reportedly stolen from the back of the vehicle. The vehicle showed no signs of forced entry and police are currently investigating the incident.

At 8:02 p.m. Sunday night, another motor vehicle accident occurred at 742 Main St. in front of the Amherst Jewish Community Center.  A motor vehicle reportedly struck a pedestrian who was then treated for non-life threatening injuries. No arrests were made.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu