UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Multiple motor vehicle accidents reported in crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

February’s first weekend brought a number of arrests to Amherst, and two motor vehicle accidents in the Amherst area left at least one resident in need of medical attention.

On Friday, Feb. 1 at approximately 7:42 p.m. a motor vehicle occupied by four men was pulled over by police officers. The driver reportedly tried to flee, using side streets as a means of losing the officer. Upon being apprehended and pulled over, alcohol was seen in plain sight by the arresting officer. Summonses for arrest were issued to all four of the occupants for minors in possession of liquor.

Almost six hours later, early Saturday morning, 20-year-old Gregory Eng of Wayland, was arrested by officers after a brief struggle. Eng was witnessed carrying an open container of alcohol near 10 Meadow St. Upon being observed, Eng fled from officers, who then gave chase. His actions were deemed as “causing a risk” according to Amherst Police Detective Jamie Reardon, and Eng was arrested on charges of minor in possession of liquor, open container and disorderly conduct.

Early Sunday morning at 12:05 a.m., at 27 South Whitney St, a male victim was struck in the leg by a passing motor vehicle. The vehicle’s owner fled the scene of the accident, leaving the victim with minor injuries. A 19-year-old Belchertown man was eventually apprehended by police and issued a summons to court for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. The victim was offered medical attention by reporting officers, but refused to go to the hospital.

A half hour later, a fight was reported at 308 North Pleasant St. in front of Cathedral Apartments.  According to police, at least four men were reported to have been in a fight that broke up before police arrived on the scene. At least one of the men had visible injuries, with some minor bleeding from the face. None of the involved parties pressed charges.

Then at 1:18 a.m. that same morning, police at 289 East Pleasant St arrested 19-year-old Nicholas Defusco of Haverhill, for minor in possession of liquor. Defusco was reportedly observed carrying a red plastic cup containing alcohol. After resisting arrest, Defusco was eventually taken to the ground and arrested.

Less than nine hours later, at 9:35 a.m. a motor vehicle was reportedly broken into with larceny occurring. The vehicle contained expensive tools, including a floor-stripper that was reportedly stolen from the back of the vehicle. The vehicle showed no signs of forced entry and police are currently investigating the incident.

At 8:02 p.m. Sunday night, another motor vehicle accident occurred at 742 Main St. in front of the Amherst Jewish Community Center.  A motor vehicle reportedly struck a pedestrian who was then treated for non-life threatening injuries. No arrests were made.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu