MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BLOG: New York Jets name Marcel Shipp new running backs coach -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A bond over basketball: Trey Davis and Zach Coleman’s friendship continues to grow at UMass -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: January 27, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Multiple motor vehicle accidents reported in crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

February’s first weekend brought a number of arrests to Amherst, and two motor vehicle accidents in the Amherst area left at least one resident in need of medical attention.

On Friday, Feb. 1 at approximately 7:42 p.m. a motor vehicle occupied by four men was pulled over by police officers. The driver reportedly tried to flee, using side streets as a means of losing the officer. Upon being apprehended and pulled over, alcohol was seen in plain sight by the arresting officer. Summonses for arrest were issued to all four of the occupants for minors in possession of liquor.

Almost six hours later, early Saturday morning, 20-year-old Gregory Eng of Wayland, was arrested by officers after a brief struggle. Eng was witnessed carrying an open container of alcohol near 10 Meadow St. Upon being observed, Eng fled from officers, who then gave chase. His actions were deemed as “causing a risk” according to Amherst Police Detective Jamie Reardon, and Eng was arrested on charges of minor in possession of liquor, open container and disorderly conduct.

Early Sunday morning at 12:05 a.m., at 27 South Whitney St, a male victim was struck in the leg by a passing motor vehicle. The vehicle’s owner fled the scene of the accident, leaving the victim with minor injuries. A 19-year-old Belchertown man was eventually apprehended by police and issued a summons to court for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. The victim was offered medical attention by reporting officers, but refused to go to the hospital.

A half hour later, a fight was reported at 308 North Pleasant St. in front of Cathedral Apartments.  According to police, at least four men were reported to have been in a fight that broke up before police arrived on the scene. At least one of the men had visible injuries, with some minor bleeding from the face. None of the involved parties pressed charges.

Then at 1:18 a.m. that same morning, police at 289 East Pleasant St arrested 19-year-old Nicholas Defusco of Haverhill, for minor in possession of liquor. Defusco was reportedly observed carrying a red plastic cup containing alcohol. After resisting arrest, Defusco was eventually taken to the ground and arrested.

Less than nine hours later, at 9:35 a.m. a motor vehicle was reportedly broken into with larceny occurring. The vehicle contained expensive tools, including a floor-stripper that was reportedly stolen from the back of the vehicle. The vehicle showed no signs of forced entry and police are currently investigating the incident.

At 8:02 p.m. Sunday night, another motor vehicle accident occurred at 742 Main St. in front of the Amherst Jewish Community Center.  A motor vehicle reportedly struck a pedestrian who was then treated for non-life threatening injuries. No arrests were made.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu