UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

A fan’s guide to the UMass football spring game -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass softball splits doubleheader against Marist in walk-off win -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 16, 2015 -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for crucial matchup with Drexel -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New partnership to unite university students and town of Amherst -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass baseball wins fifth straight -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why “Last Week Tonight” is the new champion of sanity in fake news -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Letter: Appalled at local police’s poor training on domestic violence -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Knitting, Crocheting and Needlework Club sparks motivation for crafty students -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Divest UMass makes strides at Board of Trustees meeting -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do we need the Apple Watch? -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jules Crittenden speaks on war correspondence to ROTC cadets -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass pitching staff lifts team -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass tennis begins its bid for the Atlantic 10 title -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Multiple motor vehicle accidents reported in crime log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

February’s first weekend brought a number of arrests to Amherst, and two motor vehicle accidents in the Amherst area left at least one resident in need of medical attention.

On Friday, Feb. 1 at approximately 7:42 p.m. a motor vehicle occupied by four men was pulled over by police officers. The driver reportedly tried to flee, using side streets as a means of losing the officer. Upon being apprehended and pulled over, alcohol was seen in plain sight by the arresting officer. Summonses for arrest were issued to all four of the occupants for minors in possession of liquor.

Almost six hours later, early Saturday morning, 20-year-old Gregory Eng of Wayland, was arrested by officers after a brief struggle. Eng was witnessed carrying an open container of alcohol near 10 Meadow St. Upon being observed, Eng fled from officers, who then gave chase. His actions were deemed as “causing a risk” according to Amherst Police Detective Jamie Reardon, and Eng was arrested on charges of minor in possession of liquor, open container and disorderly conduct.

Early Sunday morning at 12:05 a.m., at 27 South Whitney St, a male victim was struck in the leg by a passing motor vehicle. The vehicle’s owner fled the scene of the accident, leaving the victim with minor injuries. A 19-year-old Belchertown man was eventually apprehended by police and issued a summons to court for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. The victim was offered medical attention by reporting officers, but refused to go to the hospital.

A half hour later, a fight was reported at 308 North Pleasant St. in front of Cathedral Apartments.  According to police, at least four men were reported to have been in a fight that broke up before police arrived on the scene. At least one of the men had visible injuries, with some minor bleeding from the face. None of the involved parties pressed charges.

Then at 1:18 a.m. that same morning, police at 289 East Pleasant St arrested 19-year-old Nicholas Defusco of Haverhill, for minor in possession of liquor. Defusco was reportedly observed carrying a red plastic cup containing alcohol. After resisting arrest, Defusco was eventually taken to the ground and arrested.

Less than nine hours later, at 9:35 a.m. a motor vehicle was reportedly broken into with larceny occurring. The vehicle contained expensive tools, including a floor-stripper that was reportedly stolen from the back of the vehicle. The vehicle showed no signs of forced entry and police are currently investigating the incident.

At 8:02 p.m. Sunday night, another motor vehicle accident occurred at 742 Main St. in front of the Amherst Jewish Community Center.  A motor vehicle reportedly struck a pedestrian who was then treated for non-life threatening injuries. No arrests were made.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu