UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Fashion Trends for 2013

Fickr/bekka palmer

Fickr/bekka palmer

Although the warm weather of spring may feel like a faint fantasy, fashion trends for spring 2013 are already here and waiting. There are plenty of new styles to pick and choose from for this up-and-coming season, as well as a number of trends from last season that are worthy of clinging onto. Firstly, here are the new trends set to sweep stores during this spring season.

Stores are going to flooded with bold striped prints this season.

Whether it’s vertical, horizontal or diagonal, there will be no way to avoid stripes this spring. The twist is that conventional black and white stripe will be replaced with more adventurous colors such as cherry red, navy and green.

Peek-a-boo pieces are the next craze to hit the runway for spring with daring cutouts, midriff-baring separates and sheer fabrics all over the catwalk. Peek-a-boo midriffs might seem daunting now during all the wind, rain and snow, but spring break is only a mere six weeks away, and once the warmier weather hits it will be acceptable to show off tanned patches of skin.

The color pallet for spring fashion this year embraces fluorescents, including neon pink and luminous yellow, a trend sure to put off most minimalists but a definite change from the usual burgundy tones at the University of Massachusetts. Combine loud fluorescent colors with sheer blouses to soften the look a little.

Reworked pinafore dresses are another leading trend to watch out for, as it’s set forth to be the new peplum of spring 2013. This schoolgirl trend is casual and easy to wear as well as effortlessly chic and striking in simplicity.

Cutaway boots are the final must for the season. The gladiator trend’s resurgence brings this vital accessory, which will take any style out of 2012 for certain. [GS1] The cutting-edge detailing emphasizes edginess whether it’s an ankle boot, calf-high or even a knee-high.

In a perfect world, with every New Year a new wardrobe would automatically appear. However, it is fortunate for those who can’t ruthlessly revamp their entire closet for 2013 that half of the newest trends are ones that have simply evolved. Instead of completely changing your wardrobe, adapt it. Here are a couple of trends worth keeping for spring 2013.

Metallics have yet to lose their shine. That collection of bronze, gold, silver, leather, silk even lurex clothing, which was huge last season, is still going to be prominent on all shop shelves. Keeping any metallics from 2012 is a must if to avoid that awful phrase of “Damn, wish I’d kept that…”

Leather skirts are another trend not just relegated to the winter; luxe leather works across the seasons especially for spring and summer evenings when the weather can be misleadingly colder than it looks.

Lastly, 50’s style costume jewelry, pencil skirts, bright 1960’s style fashion prints or anything Jackie Kennedy would wear is still in. Spring brings major opportunity to show off legs, therefore mod mini dresses and cinched waists will still be essential this season.

Steph Cann can be reached at scann@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Fashion Trends for 2013”
  1. Rachel Myers says:

What about the 80s?
    Or my red shorts with the purple top?