UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

Fashion Trends for 2013

Fickr/bekka palmer

Fickr/bekka palmer

Although the warm weather of spring may feel like a faint fantasy, fashion trends for spring 2013 are already here and waiting. There are plenty of new styles to pick and choose from for this up-and-coming season, as well as a number of trends from last season that are worthy of clinging onto. Firstly, here are the new trends set to sweep stores during this spring season.

Stores are going to flooded with bold striped prints this season.

Whether it’s vertical, horizontal or diagonal, there will be no way to avoid stripes this spring. The twist is that conventional black and white stripe will be replaced with more adventurous colors such as cherry red, navy and green.

Peek-a-boo pieces are the next craze to hit the runway for spring with daring cutouts, midriff-baring separates and sheer fabrics all over the catwalk. Peek-a-boo midriffs might seem daunting now during all the wind, rain and snow, but spring break is only a mere six weeks away, and once the warmier weather hits it will be acceptable to show off tanned patches of skin.

The color pallet for spring fashion this year embraces fluorescents, including neon pink and luminous yellow, a trend sure to put off most minimalists but a definite change from the usual burgundy tones at the University of Massachusetts. Combine loud fluorescent colors with sheer blouses to soften the look a little.

Reworked pinafore dresses are another leading trend to watch out for, as it’s set forth to be the new peplum of spring 2013. This schoolgirl trend is casual and easy to wear as well as effortlessly chic and striking in simplicity.

Cutaway boots are the final must for the season. The gladiator trend’s resurgence brings this vital accessory, which will take any style out of 2012 for certain. [GS1] The cutting-edge detailing emphasizes edginess whether it’s an ankle boot, calf-high or even a knee-high.

In a perfect world, with every New Year a new wardrobe would automatically appear. However, it is fortunate for those who can’t ruthlessly revamp their entire closet for 2013 that half of the newest trends are ones that have simply evolved. Instead of completely changing your wardrobe, adapt it. Here are a couple of trends worth keeping for spring 2013.

Metallics have yet to lose their shine. That collection of bronze, gold, silver, leather, silk even lurex clothing, which was huge last season, is still going to be prominent on all shop shelves. Keeping any metallics from 2012 is a must if to avoid that awful phrase of “Damn, wish I’d kept that…”

Leather skirts are another trend not just relegated to the winter; luxe leather works across the seasons especially for spring and summer evenings when the weather can be misleadingly colder than it looks.

Lastly, 50′s style costume jewelry, pencil skirts, bright 1960′s style fashion prints or anything Jackie Kennedy would wear is still in. Spring brings major opportunity to show off legs, therefore mod mini dresses and cinched waists will still be essential this season.

Steph Cann can be reached at scann@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Fashion Trends for 2013”
  1. Rachel Myers says:

What about the 80s?
    Or my red shorts with the purple top?