Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Fashion Trends for 2013

Fickr/bekka palmer

Fickr/bekka palmer

Although the warm weather of spring may feel like a faint fantasy, fashion trends for spring 2013 are already here and waiting. There are plenty of new styles to pick and choose from for this up-and-coming season, as well as a number of trends from last season that are worthy of clinging onto. Firstly, here are the new trends set to sweep stores during this spring season.

Stores are going to flooded with bold striped prints this season.

Whether it’s vertical, horizontal or diagonal, there will be no way to avoid stripes this spring. The twist is that conventional black and white stripe will be replaced with more adventurous colors such as cherry red, navy and green.

Peek-a-boo pieces are the next craze to hit the runway for spring with daring cutouts, midriff-baring separates and sheer fabrics all over the catwalk. Peek-a-boo midriffs might seem daunting now during all the wind, rain and snow, but spring break is only a mere six weeks away, and once the warmier weather hits it will be acceptable to show off tanned patches of skin.

The color pallet for spring fashion this year embraces fluorescents, including neon pink and luminous yellow, a trend sure to put off most minimalists but a definite change from the usual burgundy tones at the University of Massachusetts. Combine loud fluorescent colors with sheer blouses to soften the look a little.

Reworked pinafore dresses are another leading trend to watch out for, as it’s set forth to be the new peplum of spring 2013. This schoolgirl trend is casual and easy to wear as well as effortlessly chic and striking in simplicity.

Cutaway boots are the final must for the season. The gladiator trend’s resurgence brings this vital accessory, which will take any style out of 2012 for certain. [GS1] The cutting-edge detailing emphasizes edginess whether it’s an ankle boot, calf-high or even a knee-high.

In a perfect world, with every New Year a new wardrobe would automatically appear. However, it is fortunate for those who can’t ruthlessly revamp their entire closet for 2013 that half of the newest trends are ones that have simply evolved. Instead of completely changing your wardrobe, adapt it. Here are a couple of trends worth keeping for spring 2013.

Metallics have yet to lose their shine. That collection of bronze, gold, silver, leather, silk even lurex clothing, which was huge last season, is still going to be prominent on all shop shelves. Keeping any metallics from 2012 is a must if to avoid that awful phrase of “Damn, wish I’d kept that…”

Leather skirts are another trend not just relegated to the winter; luxe leather works across the seasons especially for spring and summer evenings when the weather can be misleadingly colder than it looks.

Lastly, 50’s style costume jewelry, pencil skirts, bright 1960’s style fashion prints or anything Jackie Kennedy would wear is still in. Spring brings major opportunity to show off legs, therefore mod mini dresses and cinched waists will still be essential this season.

Steph Cann can be reached at scann@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Fashion Trends for 2013”
  1. Rachel Myers says:

What about the 80s?
    Or my red shorts with the purple top?

You must be logged in to post a comment.