Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Undergraduate scholar takes on the Five College Film Festival

Flickr/Arty Smokes(deaf mute)

Erica Moulton is a director of filmmakers.

As the undergraduate student director of the Five College Film and Video Festival, Moulton oversees the film work of numerous Five College students, a job which she sees as vital to the future of film.

“The emerging filmmakers at the Five Colleges will be the next generation of filmmakers and it is important to reach out to one another now to create the ties that will make us successful in the future,” she said.

Five College Film and Video Festival will take place on Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. at Mount Holyoke College in the Gamble Auditorium. Entries are limited to a maximum run time of 20 minutes. Submitted short films cover a wide spectrum of topics, including narrative storytelling, performance art and important social issues, such as disability and self-image.

Students can compete in several different categories, such as animation, documentary, experimental, dance on camera, narrative and graduate-level filmmaking.

Winners in each category are given a cash reward for their efforts, as well as a screening and press coverage with Northampton Community Television and Amherst Media.

This will mark the 19th consecutive year the festival has been held. Films have developed from stop motion animation to experimental film and documentaries.

For Moulton, working with the festival was no easy task.

As a junior at Mount Holyoke College, Moulton has endeavored to pursue  degrees in English and film, while complementing her studies by writing articles for the college’s Uloop page. Upon entering college, she was also a recipient of the prestigious 21st century scholars merit scholarship.

So, it was no surprise when Bernadine Mellis, the faculty advisor for the festival, asked her to step up to the plate and fill the role of student director.

“I was very eager to participate as I had only heard wonderful things about the festival,” Moulton said. “And I wanted to do something to get more involved with the Five Colleges.”

As the director of the festival, Moulton oversees a team of students who are responsible for managing the event.

“It has been extremely rewarding to direct the festival,” she said of the experience. “I have gotten to know students from all of the colleges and see how passionate and involved each of them are.”

Moulton’s own duties span marketing the event to job allocation for her volunteers, who filter through entrants in as they search for the best possible projects to showcase.

Beyond managing the logistics of the event, the young director also understands the power that the world of independent film has on influencing mainstream cinema. Many of today’s most prolific filmmakers got their start working on independent productions before breaking into Hollywood. It is a venue free of studio constraints in which anyone can participate.

“Independent film is a vital component to the film industry,” Moulton said. “It is the place where experimentation happens and where filmmakers are free to express themselves.”

Moulton emphasizes that attending the festival screenings is an experience all its own.

“The atmosphere at the festival is really fun and the jurors will ensure that the films selected are well-crafted, surprising and entertaining,” said Moulton. “It’s also a great event for students to come and cheer on their friends.”

Submissions are being accepted through Feb. 14 and can be sent in digitally through Vimeo, or in hardcopy. More details can be found on the festival’s website, fivecolleges.edu/film/festival.

Søren Hough can be reached at shhough@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.