REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass football kicks off day one of fall camp Monday -

Monday, August 17, 2015

Cyr: The time to start talking football is back again -

Monday, August 17, 2015

UMass football adds series with USF, Maine to future schedules -

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Vandalism in Amherst Crime Log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The long weekend was not short on crime for the Amherst Police Department, with the officers having to deal with multiple reports of vandalism among other crimes.

Beginning Friday morning at 11:46 a.m., police received reports of theft in Hawkins Meadow Apartments. According to the police report, someone allegedly broke into the coin-operated laundry machines in the facility stealing coins from the machines. The amount of money was not specified, and the issue is still under investigation.

Early Saturday morning at 12:46 a.m., police were called to the scene of Amherst’s Old Town Tavern with reports of a large fight. The alleged fight was broken up before the police arrived on the scene and one individual who was involved in the altercation, was found bleeding from the face.

A male reportedly involved in the fight was aggressive towards officers, using vulgar language and spitting blood in their vicinity. Eventually police arrested the male, identified as 26-year-old Amherst resident Brian Alves, after he continued to refuse to calm down.

Later that same evening, Springfield resident Blake Spencer was arrested after police followed up on an incident occurring late Friday night. According to police, Spencer left a Village Parks apartment and was seen stumbling to his car reportedly screaming obscenities. After kicking out the window of his vehicle, entering it, and driving off he was eventually pulled over by police and arrested for operating under the influence.

At 2:20 a.m. Saturday morning police were forced to investigate a series of vandalisms occurring in Brandywine Apartments. Four subjects were witnessed smashing the windows of several cars before retreating into buildings. Police are investigating the disturbance and are currently seeking the four suspected vandals.

Just over an hour later, a motor vehicle accident was reported to police who arrived at 388 Pine Street to find a vehicle that had traveled off the road and crashed into a house. There were no major injuries reported and 22-year-old operator and Amherst resident Sihem Mellah was arrested under suspicion of operating under the influence.

Later in the evening on Saturday, a noise complaint at a Lincoln Avenue apartment building led to the arrest of 20-year-old West Roxbury resident Greg Lucas. Lucas was found to have a warrant for prior offenses and was taken into custody by police.

Early Sunday morning, the APD assisted the UMass police department with a reported vandalism occurring in the John Adams Tower parking lot in Southwest. Two male parties were seen smashing car windows in the parking lot before fleeing in a black Jeep Cherokee. A car that matched the description was eventually discovered and pulled over by police, who then arrested the operator and his occupant under charges of malicious destruction.

Early Monday morning, police reported pulling over the vehicle of operator Patrick Brown, a 25-year-old Amherst resident. The operator appeared impaired according to police and was eventually arrested.

Later the same morning at 3:47 a.m. a car was reported having gone off the road at 199 Belchertown Road. Twenty-year-old Amherst resident Dominic Serra was arrested under charges of operating under the influence and operation of a motor vehicle to endanger. No serious injuries were reported.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached mscuzzar@student.umass.edu