UMass women’s basketball defeats Saint Peter’s for third straight win -

Celebrity culture could be a part of the problem -

Mulligan’s defense, rebounding helps push Minutewomen past Saint Peters -

Gaudet’s power play goal clinches 2-1 victory over Union for UMass hockey -

The department of Judaic Studies makes a disappointing decision -

The merits of print journalism shouldn’t be overlooked -

‘Coco’ is a colorful movie with a refreshing culture -

Tips to help manage stress during finals -

UMass women’s basketball rolls over Fisher College 121-38 in a record setting affair -

Hailey Leidel catches fire, breaks program record for 3-pointer’s in 121-38 victory over Fisher College -

Hockey Notebook: Jake Gaudet beginning to find his rhythm with UMass hockey -

Pipkins’ scoring outburst leads UMass past Providence -

Second half run leads UMass men’s basketball over Providence -

Students vote ‘yes’ for Student Union renovations -

Writer and Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King speaks at Amherst College -

Sweater weather: The big three styles for guys this fall

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing color and the wind around Du Bois library is probably making you regret your choice of shorts and a t-shirt. So begin brushing the dust off your old fall gear and check that you have all the essentials. For autumn, transitional layers are not only a seamless way to put a punch into any wardrobe, but they also help to fend off the lowering temperature. With these looks, you can stop fighting Mother Nature and start embracing her.

Lukasz Dunikowski/Flickr

V-Neck

There is no such thing as too much V-neck apparel. The style garners praise for its versatility. It is great for layering, can be dressed up or down and translates well in a variety of colors and patterns. For those just dipping their toes in the water, Gap makes an excellent V-neck in neutral colors, such as oatmeal, gray and an earthen color. As far as patterns go, stripes are the best to start with. The fit of a V-neck is crucial: a baggy sweater will add pounds to your appearance. Keep it snug and make sure the bottom of the sweater reaches no lower than the tops of your pants pockets.

Crewneck

The crewneck is a more casual option than a V-neck, but looks just as great. J. Crew makes a fantastic crewneck, offered in an excellent selection of colors and fits. Most guys probably like their sweaters with a looser fit, thinking that baggy means more comfortable. If it fits correctly, a well-made crewneck will be just as comfortable, if not more so. A classic fail-safe combination is to pair the sweater with your favorite worn-in jeans. Or, you can switch it up with a pair of colored chinos, preferably in a forest green or burnt orange. Face it: your crew is an important part of life, so when looking for a new one, think more Kennedy and less frat.

Cardigan

Mr. Rogers had it right. He always sported a cardigan and might even be responsible for making it a classic look. Today, designers have revamped the fit of the classic sweater with cool, crazy patterns. One option leans to a more preppy side, with two stripes on the arm. This style is found mostly in blues and grays – stick to those two colors if you are just jumping on the cardigan caravan. For the more fashion-conscious gentlemen, color-blocking designs or interesting fabrics, such as birds-eye wool, can create a striking silhouette.

As a transitional piece, the simple sweater is a staple. Lightweight cottons can help to stave off a slight chill, whereas chunky knits will keep you warm all night. All of these staple fall styles should find their way into your wardrobe this season. So kick it like a Kennedy or get righteous with your inner Mr. Rogers. Either way, this fall you will be noticed for all the right reasons.

Ryan Ford can be reached at rdford@umass.edu.