John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

UMass rowing finishes successful fall season

Courtesy of UMass Athletics

The Massachusetts rowing team competed in a pair of events this weekend, with the freshman squad racing in the Green Monster Regatta and the varsity team in Mercer Falls, N.J., racing in the U.S. Rowing Fall Regatta.

The freshmen had three boats entered in the Green Monster Regatta. The ‘A’ boat finished fourth overall with a time of 16:42, trailing only Dartmouth, Boston College and Northeastern. The other two boats finished 11th and 13th, respectively, out of a pool of 16 boats.

In New Jersey, the Minutewomen partook in time trials on Saturday. They entered 12 boats in the time trials and each boat qualified for the finals, which was on Sunday.

UMass coach Jim Dietz noted that Claudia Caballero Larco was third overall out of 40 scullers in the time trials, which allowed her to take part in the ’A’ final which is for the top six boats in the time trial.

Larco ended up finishing in fifth place in the gold medal final, only 20 seconds out of first place. Her time, 8:26:39, was affected by difficult conditions, which made her have a little trouble dealing with the wind and rough water, according to Dietz.

Despite finishing fifth, Dietz believes that Larco “still had a very respectable performance.”

“The women’s doubles were actually the two best boats that I thought I entered,” Dietz said. “Those boats in the time trails qualified for the ‘B’ level final, which added to our excitement because the inter-squad competition that we have really gets the gals going, because everyone wants to be top dog.

“That was a thrilling race this morning with basically six boats rowing in a dead heat all the way down the course.”

Dietz also believed Taryn Wilson and Emily Mann, who were back in fourth, rowed a really strategically sound race and in the last 500 meters. Radcliffe, who was in the lead at the time, made a mistake which allowed the field to close the gap. Wilson and Mann eventually took the gold.

Dietz was also proud of his women’s pairs, saying, “by the time the pairs raced, the water conditions were really terrible and many of the boats were crabbing.

“However, Rachel Boudreau and Pippa Edwards were actually leading for quite a while, but in the last 500 they got in some trouble and our other boat got past. But, overall we were thrilled with the racing in that our gals really went out and attacking the field.”

Nicole Juul-Hindsgaul and Allanah Rubi-Mooney made up the women’s pair boat that came in fourth for UMass.

In the 2E doubles race, Krysten Menks and Nicole DeStefano took first place with a time of 8:17:28, besting fellow Minutewomen Gabrielle Hayward and Sarah Wiczek by five seconds.

In the 1D singles race, Rebecca Adams took home silver with a time of 9:05:51 as Princeton’s Olivia McShea, who finished the race in 8:45:30, dominated the field.

With this past weekend being the last weekend of the fall season, Dietz is already looking forward to spring.

“Emily Mann and Pippa…are immediately making a contribution to the varsity program. Those kids are coming in and doing just a fabulous job,” he said.

“When you are racing against the Northeastern’s, Princeton’s, Radcliffe’s and Wisconsin’s and you are that competitive at this stage in the season, you know your spring is going to be very good,” Dietz added.

Matthew Zackman can be reached at mzackman@umass.edu.