Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass rowing finishes successful fall season

Courtesy of UMass Athletics

The Massachusetts rowing team competed in a pair of events this weekend, with the freshman squad racing in the Green Monster Regatta and the varsity team in Mercer Falls, N.J., racing in the U.S. Rowing Fall Regatta.

The freshmen had three boats entered in the Green Monster Regatta. The ‘A’ boat finished fourth overall with a time of 16:42, trailing only Dartmouth, Boston College and Northeastern. The other two boats finished 11th and 13th, respectively, out of a pool of 16 boats.

In New Jersey, the Minutewomen partook in time trials on Saturday. They entered 12 boats in the time trials and each boat qualified for the finals, which was on Sunday.

UMass coach Jim Dietz noted that Claudia Caballero Larco was third overall out of 40 scullers in the time trials, which allowed her to take part in the ’A’ final which is for the top six boats in the time trial.

Larco ended up finishing in fifth place in the gold medal final, only 20 seconds out of first place. Her time, 8:26:39, was affected by difficult conditions, which made her have a little trouble dealing with the wind and rough water, according to Dietz.

Despite finishing fifth, Dietz believes that Larco “still had a very respectable performance.”

“The women’s doubles were actually the two best boats that I thought I entered,” Dietz said. “Those boats in the time trails qualified for the ‘B’ level final, which added to our excitement because the inter-squad competition that we have really gets the gals going, because everyone wants to be top dog.

“That was a thrilling race this morning with basically six boats rowing in a dead heat all the way down the course.”

Dietz also believed Taryn Wilson and Emily Mann, who were back in fourth, rowed a really strategically sound race and in the last 500 meters. Radcliffe, who was in the lead at the time, made a mistake which allowed the field to close the gap. Wilson and Mann eventually took the gold.

Dietz was also proud of his women’s pairs, saying, “by the time the pairs raced, the water conditions were really terrible and many of the boats were crabbing.

“However, Rachel Boudreau and Pippa Edwards were actually leading for quite a while, but in the last 500 they got in some trouble and our other boat got past. But, overall we were thrilled with the racing in that our gals really went out and attacking the field.”

Nicole Juul-Hindsgaul and Allanah Rubi-Mooney made up the women’s pair boat that came in fourth for UMass.

In the 2E doubles race, Krysten Menks and Nicole DeStefano took first place with a time of 8:17:28, besting fellow Minutewomen Gabrielle Hayward and Sarah Wiczek by five seconds.

In the 1D singles race, Rebecca Adams took home silver with a time of 9:05:51 as Princeton’s Olivia McShea, who finished the race in 8:45:30, dominated the field.

With this past weekend being the last weekend of the fall season, Dietz is already looking forward to spring.

“Emily Mann and Pippa…are immediately making a contribution to the varsity program. Those kids are coming in and doing just a fabulous job,” he said.

“When you are racing against the Northeastern’s, Princeton’s, Radcliffe’s and Wisconsin’s and you are that competitive at this stage in the season, you know your spring is going to be very good,” Dietz added.

Matthew Zackman can be reached at mzackman@umass.edu.