UMass hockey shuts down No. 8 Northeastern with 3-0 win -

Matt Murray hands Northeastern its first shutout of the season -

Minutewomen stunned by last-second free throw -

UMass hockey returns home to battle juggernaut Northeastern squad -

Slow start sinks Minutemen against URI -

UMass three-game win streak snapped in Rhode Island humbling -

Trio of second period goals leads Maine to 3-1 win over UMass hockey -

Prince Hall flood over winter break -

Minutemen look to avoid three straight losses with pair against Vermont -

Men’s and women’s track and field open seasons at Dartmouth Relays -

Turnovers and poor shooting hurt UMass women’s basketball in another conference loss at St. Bonaventure -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17

(TOME Official Facebook Page)

(TOME Official Facebook Page)

The plunging darkness never lasts for long. Anticipation is always heavy in the air before the lights begin flashing and a drum rhythm intercepts the silence. This year the sound of revving engines played in the background, creating the feeling that Pier 94 had transformed into a vast parking lot.

At New York Fashion Week, Alexander Wang presented his spring 2017 collection. Shirting-inspired looks and beaded mini-dresses recurred throughout the show. Some innovative takes on shirting included spliced shirtdresses, micro miniskirts fashioned from shirttails and strappy wrap-around bikinis.

The designs then segued into loungewear with lace-trimmed chemises, bath robes, and slip dresses galore. In keeping with warm weather spirit, the next part of the show had models fashioning beach apparel down the runway.

Wang is known for his controversial t-shirts (remember the Parental Advisory shirt styled by his four-year old niece, Aila?) and this year was no different with bikini-clad girls screen-printed on tees. During the beach apparel segment, cropped half-zip windbreakers, drysuit-inspired knit dresses and surfer-chic ankle-cuff flip-flops were also sent down the runway. The show ended with a series of sequined evening wear.

Except that wasn’t the end of the show.

During the finale, all the models marched out again in Wang’s newest pieces from his collaboration with the German sporting label Adidas – a collaboration that connected seamlessly with the athleisure theme presented earlier when Wang sent models down the runway in neon bike caps.

Rumors circulated during the early summer months of an impending collaboration between Adidas and Wang. The buzz was not confirmed until Wang sent models down his runway in unisex athleisure pieces and footwear, all emblazed with inverted Adidas logos. The full collaboration offers 84 pieces in total.

For now, the only way to purchase pieces is to visit a pop-up truck stationed in SoHo, Midtown and Williamsburg, New York.

In the spring, the line will be available at adidas Originals and Alexander Wang stores, e-commerce sites and select retailers. By collaborating with Adidas, Wang is able to meld tradition with modernity. His pieces have the intention of being comfortable and easy to coordinate for customers who live rapid-pace lives.

Wang presents athletic wear without sacrificing style; hemlines are kept interesting and the black-and-white color scheme makes coordination easier. However, with their indulgent price tags, the athletic looks are perhaps best kept away from the gym.

Yet Wang understands that his customers live in a technologically advanced world where convenience is of utmost importance. Those customers ultimately need outfits that can be worn anywhere from the grocery store, to the office and wherever else an errand takes them. With his sportswear collaboration, Wang caters to his customers’ needs and ushers in a new season of downtown cool.

The following day after Wang’s show, Ryan Lobo and Ramon Martin of the NYC-based label Tome sent their collection down the runway. The show featured numerous maxi-dresses complete with either checked or minimalistic prints with unexpected shoulder-baring necklines. Despite the lengths of the dresses, the material was light and floated around the models’ ankles as they made their way down the runway. Ruffles and sheer fabric gave everything a romantic edge.

Launched in 2010, Tome gathered momentum on the fashion scene after Lobo and Martin became finalists in the Vogue/CFDA Fashion Fund. Lobo and Martin said they found inspiration in feminist writer Germaine Greer’s work for their new line. Like Wang, they contemplated ways to counteract tradition with modernity, a harmony they found in a partnership with Intel technologies.

In their collaboration, Intel and Tome sent models down the runway wearing bracelets based on Intel Curie technology. The bracelet, featuring an elegant leather knot design, was made to help wearers stay healthy and connected while on the go.

Tome and Intel also came up with a sustainable concept handbag, equipped with Intel technology that measures ambient temperature, toxic gases and barometric pressure. The bag can send the carrier alerts so they can live a more informed and healthy lifestyle.

The collaboration recognizes that technology does not have to be cumbersome and unstylish. Tome’s modern customers want to improve their awareness of their surroundings and make better lifestyle choices. With the new pieces being launched, their information and options are made available, quite literally, at their fingertips.

Sophia Liao can be reached at yiruiliao@umass.edu.

One Response to “Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17”
  1. Danielle says:

Great article!