Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Brown University in OT thriller -

Real Estate finds tranquility, but breaks little new ground on ‘In Mind’ -

UMass baseball takes series behind two straight wins over George Washington -

Letter to the Editor: Amherst should vote no on education referendum -

Make small-scale activism sexy again -

Defense holds strong for UMass men’s lacrosse in loss to Brown -

Strong second half lifts UMass women’s lacrosse past Marist, 10-7 -

Letter to the Editor: UMass alum reflects on his time at the Collegian -

Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

UMass field hockey wins Atlantic-10 Championship

Nicole Miller runs down the field during Sunday's game against Northeastern on October 16th. Katherine Mayo/Daily Collegian)

Nicole Miller runs down the field during Sunday’s game against Northeastern on October 16th. (Katherine Mayo/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts field hockey team issued heartbreak Saturday afternoon en route to its 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship.

In the 67th minute of the game against No. 1 seed and 20th ranked Saint Joseph’s, senior midfielder Izzie Delario inserted a penalty corner to junior defender Melanie Kreusch. Hawks’ (15-6, 8-0 A-10) goalie Victoria Kammerinke stopped the initial shot from Kreusch, but senior forward Nicole Miller used her 4’11” frame to her advantage and snuck the ball past Kammerinke to give the Minutewomen (13-7, 6-2 A-10) a 2-1 lead.

“It was on a corner, so I was at the post,” Miller said. “My assistant coach said to get to that post and sit there, it was a bobbled ball and hit the girls shin guard and goalie saved it and I dove in and got it into the back of the net.”

After Miller’s goal gave UMass a lead late, with one second left in regulation, the Hawks were awarded a penalty corner in the Minutewomen’s zone, but the clock continued to run and hit zero before they could get another shot off, clinching UMass’ fourth A-10 championship in the past five years

“It’s an indescribable feeling, I can’t tell you the last time I felt this good,” Minutewomen coach Amy Robertson said. “It’s not just that we won, it’s what we’ve overcome to get this result in the end, we’ve been through so many obstacles to get here.”

UMass broke the scoreless tie in the 29th minute with a goal by Delario – her ninth of the season – on an assist from junior forward Sarah Hawkshaw.

SJU knotted the score at one apiece in the 62nd minute when sophomore forward Anna Willocks scored her 25th goal of the season on a penalty corner.

“It was a little nerve racking,” Miller said. “We had a decent amount of (chances) to score and with 20 minutes to play they scored. Most of the game we were up and it was tough to know it was just a 1-0 lead… But luckily we were able to get it in in the last three minutes.”

However, the goal would not deter the Minutewomen, who held a 21-5 shot advantage.

UMass goalie Emily Hazard finished with two saves, and Kammerinke with nine.

“It was retribution for a very unlucky loss in a tough environment,” Robertson said. “That felt good. At the end of the day, that was when it really mattered. Now we prolong out season and compete for a NCAA championship.”

The Semi-finals

In the A-10 semi-final matchup Friday, UMass faced rival Richmond hoping to avenge the 4-2 loss back on Oct. 9. The Minutewomen did so with a 3-1 victory as Hawkshaw scored all three goals for UMass.

The Minutewomen got on the board first in the second meeting when Hawkshaw scored her 12th of the season in the 20th minute.

Hawkshaw scored again in the 39th minute and in the 60th minute to give the Ireland native her first career hat trick.

Hawkshaw, Delario and Kreusch have all been named as first team all-conference members, junior midfielder Anne Dijkstra was named to the second team.

The Minutewomen move on to the first round of the NCAA tournament on Sat., Nov. 12.

Zander Manning can be reached at alexanderman@umass.edu and followed @ZMSportsReport.