Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

UMass field hockey announces Barb Weinberg as next head coach

30369280615_b05a2e93b4_o

(Katherine Mayo/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts field hockey team will have a new coach come next season.

UMass Athletic Director Ryan Bamford announced Thursday that Barb Weinberg will replace Amy Robertson as the Minutewomen field hockey coach.

Weinberg comes to Amherst after manning the sidelines as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator with Wake Forest the previous three seasons.

“Barb has tremendous credentials as both a player and coach which will positively impact our program moving forward,” Bamford said in Thursday’s press release. “She is well-prepared to lead her own program given her experience working with some of the most respected coaches in the sport. Our staff and student-athletes look forward to Coach Weinberg’s arrival and the work she will do to continue the national prominence of UMass field hockey.”

Weinberg began coaching as an assistant with Iowa in 2008. She then took assistant jobs at Maryland (2010-13) and American University (2013-14) before Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons were NCAA tournament bound in both seasons Weinberg was on the staff and won the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2014. Weinberg was a two-time All-American at Iowa and three-time All-Big 10 performer in her playing days with the Hawkeyes.

“I am extremely honored to take the lead of the UMass field hockey program,” Weinberg said in the statement. “I have great respect for the rich history that coaches and players of the past have created and look forward to building upon this tradition.”

The Minutewomen finished 2016 with a 14-8 (6-2 Atlantic 10) record, winning the A-10 conference tournament for the fourth time in the past five seasons. UMass fell to No. 2 Maryland 2-1 in the first round of the NCAA tournament this year in penalty shots.

Kyle DaLuz can be reached at kdaluz@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Kyle_DaLuz.