Amherst PD have busy first weekend of 2010 school year

The Amherst Police Department announced Monday that it is investigating two “serious assaults” which took place last weekend.

On Sunday around 2 a.m., numerous officers responded to 213 Grantwood Dr., just off East Pleasant St., to a report of an assault.

Once at the scene, officers found an unresponsive 18-year-old Worcester man suffering from major head wounds. The unidentified man was transported to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, where he remains in critical condition, according to the Monday release.
Further investigation revealed the victim was struck in the head with a baseball bat, which the APD recovered later. No arrests have been made yet, and Lieutenant Ronald Young wrote in the release that the victim is not a Five College student.

The day before, Sept. 11, just after 2:30 a.m., officers responded to a report of a man who had been struck in the head outside 768 North Pleasant St. Officers located a 24-year-old, who was taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton by Amherst Fire Department ambulance. At Cooley Dickinson, the man was treated and released for head lacerations.

Officers on scene identified a suspect as a 21-year-old still unnamed Dracut, Mass. man. Officers said the victim had been struck in the head with a piece of wood from a nearby construction site. Young wrote in the release that the Dracut man will be summoned to Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown to face charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Neither man was a student at an area college.
Further, Amherst police responded to 231 calls for service this weekend, with 31 disturbance calls and 49 individuals charged with crimes through arrest or summons.

-Collegian News Staff