Amherst Police Department charge 92 with crimes over weekend

By Collegian News Staff

Nate Roberson/courtesy of Amherst Police Department

The Amherst Police Department had another action packed weekend in the Happy Valley spanning the days of Oct. 1-3. According to a Monday release from Lieutenant Ronald Young, the APD responded to 260 calls for service over the weekend, in addition to answering 42 disturbance calls.

Officers charged 92 individuals with crimes. The charges ranged from assault, minor in possession of alcohol and other alcohol-related charges, to disorderly conduct and narcotics offenses.

All individuals charged or summoned to court will be arraigned this week in Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown, according to the Oct. 4 release.

The APD have also stepped up alcohol enforcement initiatives in the wake of ongoing vandalism and larceny during the first several weeks of the semester.

“This problem-solving technique is in response to citizens working with assigned sector officers to identify problem areas in town,” Young stated in the release.

One notable arrest occurred early Saturday morning, around 12:30 a.m., when officers observed 23-year-old Amherst resident Marcus Roberson on a Pioneer Valley Transit Authority bus traveling on North Pleasant Street. Roberson was wanted on an outstanding breaking and entering warrant, and as he exited the bus, officers attempted to place him under arrest. Roberson allegedly fled, and after what the release describes as a “lengthy foot pursuit,” he was apprehended behind several residences on Kellogg Avenue.

Roberson was charged with resisting arrest, in addition to the warrant charges.

-Collegian News Staff

1 Comment

One Response to “Amherst Police Department charge 92 with crimes over weekend”

1. Joe on March 7th, 2011 9:04 pm

Free cus cus