Spring 2013 fashion trends

Finally spring is approaching and we can shed our coats and boots for clothing items that are a little lighter. There are a lot of spring trends that are pretty typical: pastels, florals, clean whites. But every season some new, unexpected styles arise that are necessary wardrobe additions. Spring 2013 is no exception, so check out this list and do some shopping.

Black and White

In a season so overwrought with color, the contrast of the black and white trend can be a little shocking. The contrasting of the two basics was seen all over the spring ready-to-wear runways – from Marc Jacobs to Alexander Wang to Narciso Rodriguez.

The trend has been seen in every incarnation, from checkered print to simple color blocking. While it’s not the typical spring style, the two staple colors can be worn so many ways and with so many other colors.

Skater Dresses

Dresses with fitted tops and full skirts are form flattering and on trend for the spring. This is really a cog in the active-wear trend, but it’s the best part of comfortable dressing. You can dress them down with sneakers or flats, but just as easily dress them up with platform sandals. A skater dress is a do-all dress, basically.

Royal Blue

In a sea of pastels and whites a pop of royal blue can really stand out. Even as the weather still stays a bit cool, swap out your regular blue jeans for some tailored, royal blue pants. The color signals a departure from the dreary doldrums of winter while still maintaining some of the edge cold weather fashion tends to bring.

Cut-Out Pieces

Dresses and tops with cutouts on the side, arms, or in the back are the most tasteful, and on trend, way to show skin this spring. The best thing about this sexy trend is that it’s easy to play it daring or low key. Plus there is a cutout type for virtually any body type. Whether the cutouts are lined with mesh panels or showing some bare skin, there’s almost no way to go wrong. Unless you show a little too much skin!

This is just a snapshot of the upcoming spring trends, and while these looks will be seen everywhere it’s also important to experiment! Do your own thing, dress for your style, preferences, and body type. But it never hurt to integrate a few trends here and there!

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at [email protected].