Pick up Olivia Wilde’s look with ease for cheap

Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons
Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons

Olivia Wilde has risen to the spotlight in the past few years, landing roles in movies such as “Tron: Legacy” and “Rush.” The actress has a funky and effortless style that has gotten her onto the covers of magazines including “Marie Claire” and “Cosmopolitan.” Even on a budget, any college student can imitate her chic, bold look.

On many days, Wilde can be seen wearing long, Bohemian-style maxi dresses. Many of her dresses are designed with bold patterns and prints, like Forever 21’s Explorer Scarf Print Maxi ($24.80) or Lush Botanical Maxi ($27.80). For students who want the flow of a dress but aren’t ready for a flashy print, Forever 21 also carries the simple Everyday Maxi for just $9.80. Wilde completes her relaxed style on these days by pairing her dresses with long statement necklaces and flip-flops. If you want to pair yours with a necklace, a great place to look is gojane.com, which carries statement pieces for as low as $11.10.

If dresses aren’t your style, then you can don the star’s other common style: graphic T-shirts and bold jeans. T-shirts similar to the ones she wears can be found on websites like threadless.com and designbyhumans.com. Both sites carry bold, original designs and support local artists by selling and marketing their products – which can be bought for just $9.95 on Threadless and $15 on Design For Humans. For jeans, Wilde often wears light blue, torn skinnies. H&M carries this style for just $9.95, and although they are sold un-torn, that can be fixed easily with a pair of scissors.

With graphic tees as a bottom layer, Wilde dresses up her outfits with feminine blazers or her go-to leather jacket. Forever 21 carries an abundance of blazers: for a more daring look, go with the South West Bound blazer for $17.80, or for a classic piece, the Satin Lapel Jacket ($29.80). While leather jackets often cost upwards of $200, if you’re willing to accept “faux,” then you can find a gorgeous jacket for as low as $15 from Forever 21. Another option is to scour your local thrift shop.

On the red carpet, Wilde is known for wearing striking, colorful dresses. While a higher quality for these events is optimal, good alternatives can be found – and face it, you probably won’t find yourself on a red carpet anytime soon. Cottonon.com carries beautiful dresses for often less than $20, but once again Forever 21 beats out that price with the Cutting Edge dress for just $10.80.

In terms of shoes, Wilde keeps it simple with ankle boots and Converse sneakers. Converse kicks can be expensive, but you can cheat a bit by purchasing your sneakers at Target. The Mossimo Supply Co. sneakers aren’t Converse brand, but have they’ll give you the same look for under $15. For ankle boots, Target also carries a broad range of choices for just $11.98.

Wilde keeps her accessories simple as well, with a few bracelets here and there, or sometimes a scarf. Cotton On has a wide range of bracelets for just $1, the proceeds of which go to their chosen charity of the year. Cotton On also carries high-quality scarves for $12.95 each.

All these pieces make up Olivia Wildes’ look, but to really look the part, the key is ease – and a big smile.

Adria Kelly-Sullenger can be reached at [email protected].