UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team came into Saturday’s matchup against URI with an opportunity to rectify its loss to George Washington last weekend and reestablish themselves as an Atlantic 10 threat.

Instead, the Minutewomen failed to break away from its four-way tie that for sixth place in the A-10 standings, as URI held off a come-from-behind effort to defeat UMass 1-0 in Kingston, Rhode Island.

The win bumped the Rams (10-2-2, 2-1-1 A-10) up to a third place tie in the A-10, while the Minutewomen (3-7-4, 1-2-1 A-10) fell to 11th in the conference.

The victory also marked only the second time since 2007 that URI has recorded at least 10 wins in a season.

The Rams struck first on Saturday with a goal in the 16th minute off a corner kick from sophomore Nicole Brennan to freshman Simone Hansen.

Brennan’s assist was her 15th point of the season, as she leads the team with five goals and five assists.

UMass sophomore Daniela Alvarez’s attempt to tie the match in the second half was turned aside by Rams’ goalkeeper Katie Nickles, in what proved to be the best opportunity for the Minutewomen. Nickles’ third shutout of the year lowered her already A-10-leading goals against average to 0.70 goals per game.

Alvarez led the Minutewomen on offense with four shots in the match. Juniors Madison Smith and Jackie Bruno also recorded three shots in the match as UMass was narrowly outshot, 16-15, by the Rams.

URI also had a strong advantage in corner kicks, as it edged out the Minutewomen 8-3.

Despite a frantic attack by UMass in the final minutes, Nickels’ four saves in the second half proved to be too much for the Minutewomen. Freshman goalie Cassidy Babin recorded four saves for UMass to keep the match competitive, with saves coming in the second half.

Time is running out for the Minutewomen with only four conference games left in the 2014 regular season before the top eight teams clinch a playoff spot.

The Minutwomen will have their first chance to do so this Friday, as they face off against St. Bonaventure, which is 1-3 in conference play.

UMass will host the Bonnies at 3p.m. at Rudd Field.

Frank Corona can be reached at [email protected].