Pedestrian struck by vehicle in crosswalk Thursday evening

Aviva Luttrell/Collegian
Aviva Luttrell/Collegian

Update: Nov. 14 at 6:30 p.m.

A pedestrian was struck by a vehicle in the crosswalk at the intersection of Fearing Street and University Drive Thursday evening.

The victim, University of Massachusetts student Joseph Nereo, 19, of Millbury, was taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital by ambulance, treated and released. He suffered non life-threatening head injuries, according to UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski.

UMass junior Ashley Condon was driving on University Drive when the accident happened.

“I was just coming back from Big Y and all of a sudden a bunch of the cars stopped,” she told the Collegian. “I look and there’s a bunch of people surrounding the kid on the (ground) and he wasn’t moving. The guy in front of me got out of his car and started trying to help direct traffic.”

The operator of the vehicle, Arthur F. Kinney, 81, of Amherst, was traveling southbound on University Drive when his vehicle struck Nereo.

According to UMPD, the area was well-lit but has been the scene of previous pedestrian accidents.

Kinney told police he did not see Nereo. He was cited for failure to stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

Neither speed nor alcohol were factors in the accident, according to UMPD. The investigation is still ongoing.

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AvivaLuttrell.