REPORT: UMass football expected to announce scheduling agreements with BC, UConn, FIU

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

Early last week, Massachusetts athletic director Ryan Bamford began teasing his followers on Twitter that “big news” would be announced surrounding the athletic department. Per a report Monday night, the terms of the announcement have appeared to come to light.

While no official announcement has been released by UMass yet, ESPN college football insider Brett McMurphy confirmed a report via Twitter Monday night that UMass was involved in a long-term scheduling deal for football between fellow New England programs Boston College and Connecticut.

Confirming an initial report from former Boston Globe reporter and current A Jersey Guy writer Mark Blaudschun, the Minutemen are expected to replace their game with UConn originally scheduled for Sept. 10, 2016 with a game against Florida International at McGuirk Stadium. The switch allows the Huskies and Eagles to continue their head-to-head agreement in the coming years.

UMass and BC will then face off the following weekend on Sept. 17, with the game reportedly being moved from Chestnut Hill to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough.

The in-state series will continue, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, with an already-scheduled matchup in 2018 followed by another game in the 2020s.

It’s also expected UMass and UConn will also announce a four-game head-to-head series, per the Daily Hampshire Gazette. The report says the two programs will play two games in Connecticut in 2018 and 2020 and twice at Gillette Stadium in 2019 and 2021.

Lastly, next year’s matchup with FIU will reportedly be followed by two additional head-to-head games in 2018 and 2019 with dates and locations unknown at this time. The Minutemen (1-4) picked up their only win so far in 2015 against the Panthers on Oct. 3 at McGuirk Stadium.

UMass last faced the Eagles in last year’s season opener at Gillette Stadium. The Minutemen lost the game 30-7 on Aug. 30, 2014.

UMass last saw the Huskies in its first game at the Football Bowl Subdivision level in 2012. The Aug. 30, 2012 game resulted in a 37-0 loss for the Minutemen.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.