Keep your political posts off of Facebook

By Lucas Coughlin

(Detroit Free Press/TNS)

(Detroit Free Press/TNS)

I feel a bit ashamed in contributing yet another column on the current presidential election, which has choked off all other news like Hamlet’s unweeded garden – candidates “rank and gross in nature possess it merely.”

But last Tuesday, on the day of the Massachusetts primary in addition to several others, I recognized what I thought to be a disturbing phenomenon. All across the country United States citizens cast their votes in record numbers for an authoritarian candidate, one who preaches an ideology that is so outdated and wrongheaded that it ought to be an abomination in the 21st century. On my own social media accounts, I saw people who I know and respect post longwinded, poorly reasoned complaints demanding that I vote for this candidate, while insulting those who lack the temerity to join his revolutionary movement. This is a candidate who is willing to circumvent our legislative and judicial branches to get his way and who has capitalized on national anger to advance his radical agenda.

But enough about Bernie Sanders.

What concerns me more than Sanders’ socialist platform is the way so many people on social media discussed our most recent primary. I don’t know how many status updates I saw from people who I had imagined to be apolitical exhorting me to go to the polls, usually implying the necessity of supporting the senator from Vermont. This, I find tremendously annoying. Voting is all well and good, but voting in a presidential primary does not make you some paragon of civic virtue. By posting your filled-in ballot on Facebook or by tagging yourself in a tweet located at your polling place, or any such obnoxiousness, you are simply posturing, declaring yourself the member of a certain tribe and expecting to be hailed wise and righteous for this.

No one has any right to tell anyone else how to vote. In fact, no one has the right to tell anyone to vote at all. These demands of “using your voice” come around most loudly every four years, as though the country only has a single elected representative. In fact, the elections that most directly affect our lives are not presidential primaries, or even necessarily general elections.

Schoolboard members, municipal officials and state senators or representatives have much more power over important community issues, and yet most of us cannot name a single official in or near our home district. If citizens cared a little more about local politics, maybe they would be less apt to seek a messiah on the national level.

Whatever the case may be, you’re not going to get anyone to support your favorite candidate through a Facebook post. It doesn’t make you seem informed and doesn’t make you a warrior for democracy. It’s simply obnoxious.

But it might also be the kick I need to get off of social media, so hey, keep at it.

Lucas Coughlin is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected]

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Keep your political posts off of Facebook”

1. by-law thumper on March 8th, 2016 9:50 am

This is by far the worst column I have ever read in my life

2. The_Chairman on March 8th, 2016 12:06 pm

The only thing more obnoxious than people ranting about politics on social media is someone ranting about people ranting about politics on social media.

3. Joe on March 8th, 2016 6:15 pm

I thought this column was fine. Obviously berniebots are obnoxious on social media, and because our presidential campaign cycle lasts so long, we’re subjected to extreme polarization basically every other year.

4. Arthur on March 8th, 2016 9:19 pm

Facebook isn’t your own front yard. They have a right to post what they want just like you have the right to publish hypocritical Daily Collegian articles. I agree that we should probably be more informed about our local politicians, but those “important community issues” can’t compare to the important GLOBAL issues that the president has to address. Thus, I don’t find that argument to be all that convincing either.

Oh, and by the way, that whole paragraph “tricking” the reader into thinking you’re talking about Trump doesn’t make much sense. I’d like to see you convince me how Bernie Sanders qualifies as “authoritarian” or justify your melodramatic (to say the least) description of his platform.

5. Zac Bears on March 9th, 2016 1:59 pm

“Don’t use a massive media platform to post your opinions because I disagree with them!!” – Lucas Coughlin

• Keep your political posts off of Facebook

UMass men’s lacrosse dominates Fairfield in 17-8 win

Пять способов формирования полезных привычек

UMass goalie Lauren Hiller has led on and off the field this season

Organizaciones estudiantiles de UMass llevan a cabo una marcha por la asequibilidad universitaria

Defensive line not concerned about lack of size

Un panel de tres personas discute los retos de salud mental que enfrentan les estudiantes que son atletas

五种方法帮你养成有益习惯

「ジャングルへようこそ」 サウスウェスト・ウィーク月曜開始

Lettera: Chiamare il congresso è gratuito

Anthony Videtto leads ninth inning rally for UMass in Beanpot Championship