UMass football and men’s basketball programs announce upcoming games with Georgia

Alec Zabrecky/Daily Collegian

(Alec Zabrecky/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts football and men’s basketball teams announced Wednesday they will be partaking in future competitions with Georgia.

UMass football will travel to Athens, Georgia to take on the Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on Nov. 17, 2018. This continues the recent trend of the Minutemen scheduling teams in the Southeastern Conference since becoming an Football Bowl Subdivision independent after their four-year run in the Mid-American Conference.

UMass travels to both Florida and South Carolina this upcoming season, while it also will host Mississippi State at Gillette Stadium as part of a three-game series with the Bulldogs that concludes in Starksville, Mississippi at Davis Wade Stadium in 2020. The Minutemen will also travel to Mississippi State and Tennessee in 2017.

UMass men’s basketball will compete in a home-and-home series with Georgia that will begin in the 2017-18 season and conclude the following year. The first matchup will be held at the Mullins Center, while the road game will be played at the Bulldogs’ Stegeman Coliseum with the dates and times still to be determined.

“I am pleased we have scheduled a 2018 football game ‘between the hedges’ at Georgia,” UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford said in the press release.

“It will be a great experience for members of our football program and will provide us increased visibility against an SEC opponent in an area of the country where Coach (Mark) Whipple and his staff are recruiting prospective student-athletes. In addition, we are also thrilled to schedule a home-and-home basketball series with the Bulldogs in future years.”

UMass will be receiving $1.5 million for participating in the three events, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Kyle DaLuz can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Kyle_DaLuz.

Kyle DaLuz, Managing Editor

Kyle is the managing editor of the Daily Collegian, as well as a night and web editor. Formerly the Collegian sports editor, Kyle has been with the Collegian...