UMPD crime alert informs campus of motor vehicle theft near Rudd Field Sept. 17

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/ Daily Collegian)

The University of Massachusetts Police Department is investigating a motor vehicle theft that occurred on Sept. 17 near Rudd Field, according to a crime alert from UMPD.

The campus community was informed of the incident on Friday just before noon.

According to the alert, items including a wallet and credit cards were taken from the locked vehicle through the open sunroof. The person of interest used a credit card taken from the vehicle at the Target store in Hadley. The alert contains a photo of the individual taken from Target’s in-store video footage.

“As far as I know it’s an ongoing investigation,” Daniel Fitzgibbons, the associate director of News and Media Relations at UMass, said. “They’re still looking for that guy.”

UMPD encourages anyone with information related to the crime to contact Officer Justin Green of UMPD at (413) 545-2121 or the anonymous tip line at (413) 577-8477.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.

Hayley Johnson, Editor in Chief

Hayley is the editor in chief of the Daily Collegian for the 2018-19 academic year. She joined her sophomore year, starting as a news assistant and served as the news editor for a semester. She hopes to work for a print newspaper following graduation and is so thankful for everything she’s learned from her time at the Collegian.