Being in a constant spotlight puts inhumane pressures on real people

(Courtesy of Mark Salling official Facebook page)

By Isabelle Marseille, Collegian Correspondent

On January 30, 2018, the entertainment industry was once again shaken with the loss of an actor. Mark Salling, best known for his role as Noah “Puck” Puckerman in the smash hit show “Glee,” had passed away from an apparent suicide. Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time this show went through a loss. In July of 2013, Cory Monteith, who played Finn Hudson, died of a drug overdose. This brings the question: could the show possibly be cursed? And in a more general sense, why is the entertainment industry so gilded?

In the entertainment industry, many audience members who watch television and film either consciously or subconsciously believe the actor and the character they portray are one and the same. In “Glee,” Cory Monteith was a 31-year-old playing a high school student. In reality, he has been struggling with drug abuse since the age of 13. Although he entered rehab at 19, his struggles were never fully put to rest, eventually succumbing to the deadly combination of heroin and alcohol and never waking up again. Salling was the same age as Monteith and also played a high school student. Throughout the years, he was surrounded with scandal, with an accusation in 2013 by ex-girlfriend Roxanne Gorzela of forced unprotected sex. Later on, in 2015, he was arrested for possession of child pornography. After being released on a $20,000 bail, it was discovered that he possessed over 50,000 images of child pornography. As a result, he pleaded guilty, registered as a sex offender, and entered a treatment program. His sentencing date was set for March 2018.

In today’s age, it isn’t uncommon to see a celebrity’s mugshot across the front pages. Naya Rivera, the actress known as the feisty Santana Lopez, was arrested in November 2017 for domestic abuse against her husband Ryan Dorsey, after hitting him in the face and head over an altercation about their child. Charges were ultimately dropped by request of Dorsey, but the event had added to the turmoil surrounding the “Glee” cast. Although all of these situations happen every day among everyday people, these are blown up onto the big screen because of the spotlight these celebrities are put in.

Due to the pressures of having to look and sound perfect at all times, celebrities often suffer behind the curtains, and don’t know how to handle it. Because of their social status, everything they could possibly want is at their fingertips. Although the purpose of entertainers is to entertain, it’s inevitable that fans look up to them as role models when someone “makes it.” There is no messing up when you’re a celebrity—once you do, it’s part of you forever. If anyone mentions a name such as Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Chris Brown, or Justin Bieber, everyone immediately thinks of all of the negative things they did and said, even if it was years ago. There is no justification for their actions, but their mistakes have now become who they are. It is often forgotten that they are just normal human beings trying to get through life, just like everyone else.

But they’re people, with inhuman pressures and expectations (constant diets, very little breaks, traveling, etc.) that can easily overwhelm them and cause them to act out—it is often said that celebrities don’t even know who they are outside of their brand. Even though it seems the cast of “Glee” have really had the worst luck, maybe there is no curse to the show at all. Maybe it just gathered people who were fighting demons and making bad decisions together. Is it a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Who knows, but these instances don’t seem to be stopping anytime soon in this business.

Isabelle Marseille can be reached at [email protected]

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Being in a constant spotlight puts inhumane pressures on real people”

1. Carole Lucas on February 9th, 2018 11:16 pm

Beautifully said Babelle! So proud of you! Keep up the good job!
    Tatie Carole

[Reply]

2. Mireille C on February 10th, 2018 12:06 am

Beautifully written! That’s my girl! When you find your niche, stick with it! Proud of you and the work you are doing! Keep on writing!

[Reply]

3. Zoe Lucas on February 10th, 2018 12:19 pm

I’m so proud of you, Isabelle!!!

Kisses,
    Zöe

[Reply]

4. Andree Descardes on February 12th, 2018 10:57 pm

Job well done my belle 🙏🏾❤️ Tatie Ann

[Reply]

5. Marie-France Noel on February 13th, 2018 9:14 pm

Beautiful article. So witty and smart. Congratulations love!

[Reply]

• Being in a constant spotlight puts inhumane pressures on real people

UMass men’s basketball coach Matt McCall’s contract extended

Eight freshmen to join UMass hockey for 2018-19

UMass softball falls to Fordham in A-10 championship game

UMass softball staves off A-10 elimination with win over Dayton

UMass softball blows out Saint Louis to open A-10 tournament

UMass baseball takes on Fordham in final homestand

Obituary: UMass senior Jacob Johnson remembered as an intellectual, a budding journalist and a kind person

Q&A: CNN’s Jake Tapper, UMass 2018 commencement speaker

Unbeaten UMass softball prepares for A-10 tournament, opens play Thursday

UMass men’s, women’s track see middle-of-the-pack showings at Atlantic 10 Championships