Despite loss, newcomer Louw continues dominance for UMass field hockey

Antonet Louw has fourth multi-goal game of the season

By Justin Ekstrom, Collegian Staff

The Massachusetts field hockey team finished a disappointing weekend Sunday afternoon with a 4-3 loss to Dartmouth, despite another multi-goal game from junior transfer Antonet Louw.

Louw showcased some aggressive offense in the first 10 minutes. She was quick to free balls and charged the net when she won them, giving UMass its only lead of the game in the eighth minute. The 1-0 start came from Louw’s hard hit ball to the top right of the net.

Her second goal featured a stunning spin move quickly followed by a slap shot that Dartmouth’s keeper had no chance of saving.

Sunday was the fourth time Louw has put up multiple goals against an opponent, scoring two goals in games against New Hampshire, Northeastern and Vermont.

Antonet also added an assist to Chloe Hillier, whose goal made the score 4-3 Dartmouth, but that was the extent of UMass’ late rally.

“It was me and Georgie [McTear] two versus twos running down the line,” Louw said, describing her assist. “Getting the ball in, making a one versus one versus the goalie and forcing it to Chloe [Hillier].”

Those were her seventh and eighth goals of the season, a team high. The junior from UMass has scored eight out of UMass’ 13 goals this season – slightly over 60 percent of the team’s total. Some games, UMass has lacked offensive presence besides Louw, leading to low efficiency on offense.

“Antonet’s a key part of our attacking unit,” Minutewomen coach Barb Weinberg said. “The key is, we need to build the ball up better in the midfield so that we are able to get her ball on the strike line.”

A lot of the game was spent in UMass’ defensive end, leaving less room for Louw to do her work on Dartmouth’s defense. The situation was worsened by a struggle to get the ball out of their own end. Turnovers led to more shots at Massachusetts keeper Johanna von dem Borne and a frustrated offense.

The second half saw a change of pace, highlighted by faster back and forth play that forced the UMass offense to make a number of quick transitions.

“From the attacking point of view we [the forwards] try to give width to the field and get into good spots on the circle,” Louw explained.

Her teammates often search for her down the field, but if they want to improve upon recent results, more pieces will have to play a part in the offensive third.

Louw recapped a disappointing game by saying that the Minutewomen “can play better, we are just letting ourselves down by missing opportunities.”

Massachusetts ends the weekend with a 2-4 overall record, looking to get back in the win column at home against Lock Haven on Friday, still searching for its first victory at Gladchuk Field this season.

Justin Ekstrom can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @JustinJEkstrom.