Fraternity indicted by Hampshire Grand Jury

The incidents in connection with the indictment occurred in the fall of 2017

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

By Hayley Johnson, Editor in Chief

A Hampshire Grand Jury has indicted the University of Massachusetts Theta Mu chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha for two counts of hazing and two counts of supplying alcohol to a minor.

The charges are in connection with incidents that occurred in the fall of 2017 resulting in a student being hospitalized with alcohol poisoning, according to Northwestern District Attorney’s Office Spokeswoman Mary Carey.

According to Ed Blaguszewski, the executive director of strategic communications at the University, all Pi Kappa Alpha activities are now suspended, continuing an interim suspension of the fraternity put in place last fall.

“As part of the student conduct process one sanction that will be seriously evaluated is dissolving the university’s recognition of the chapter,” Blaguszewski said in a statement. “In partnership with the national organization, this would equate to revocation of the chapter’s charter, which would permanently strip the local chapter of official recognition.”

The indictments charging procuring alcohol for a minor allege that the fraternity supplied alcohol to a person under the age of 21. Each charge is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, according to Carey.

The indictments of hazing allege the fraternity “engage[d] in conduct or a method of initiation into a student organization which did willfully or recklessly endanger the physical or mental health of any student or other person,” Carey said in a statement. These charges are punishable by fines of up to $3,000.

An arraignment date has not yet been set for Hampshire Superior Court.

Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.