Police Log: Friday, Sept. 7 – Sunday, Sept. 9

Several liquor law violations occurred during students’ first weekend back at UMass

Friday, Sept. 7, 2018

Traffic Enforcement

10:17 a.m.: Two citations were issued to motor vehicles while traffic enforcement was in place at 1003 South East St.

10:58 a.m.: Traffic enforcement put in place at 205 Middle St. Light traffic and no violations were observed. Enforcement was called off to assist Hadley Police Department.

Animal Complaint

10:55 a.m.: A small brown dog was seen running loose in the area by Jones Library, 43 Amity St. The owner and dog were reunited.

11:09 a.m.: Police were sent out to assist with a skunk on the Crocker Farm Elementary School grounds, 280 West St.

12:25 p.m.: Police spoke with management about a barking dog at 497 East Pleasant St., apartment office.

1:05 p.m.: A reporting party called in two dogs tied to a tree outside Dunkin’ Donuts at 175 University Dr. that did not have food or water around them. She stated that she had seen them there for a week. Officer reported a woman and the dogs were moving to Michigan the next day.

3:46 p.m.: A woman reported her white pitbull and brown Chihuahua had been missing for approximately two hours at 288 Grantwood Dr. Both had collars and the woman said they are extremely friendly. The dogs were located.

Assist other Police Department

11:18 a.m.: APD assisted HPD, 15 East St., Hadley, with female prisoner search.

Trespass

11:43 a.m.: Massachusetts Highway Association dropped off trespass order for involved parties for all Massachusetts highway traffic islands at 351 Northampton Rd.

Recovered Property

2:20 p.m.: A reporting party stated she has a bike at the front desk at Amity Street Dental, 148 Amity St. that she’d like to be picked up. An older, brown Raleigh bike with a wicker basket on the front was on its kickstand in the back lot by the fence at the location. The bike had not been reported stolen or appeared to have been placed there. Police decided to wait longer to see if the owner of the bike returns.

Vandalism

3:32 p.m.: A reporting party said glass from a piece of artwork inside Kendrick Park, 1 East Pleasant St., had been smashed. The cement cube with purple Plexiglass had spidered. Police did not see anyone around and there are no cameras or suspects.

Traffic

12:22 p.m.: An anonymous caller reported a male on a green bicycle headed westbound at 406 Pine St. in the travel lane with a 3-year-old child riding on the handle bars. The person was gone on police arrival.

4:10 p.m.: A reporting party called in a motor vehicle in the area of 667 Main St. The vehicle was gone on arrival. Ernie’s Towing driver advised that a black SUV was stopped, but they got the vehicle moving again.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

4:54 p.m.: A reporting party said a white 2000 Ford Explorer was all over the road and driving under the speed limit at 468 West St. The vehicle made it to Granby before APD arrived. The information was passed on to the neighboring department.

7:22 p.m.: A reporting party called to complain about a previous traffic incident at 1550 West St. He has been complaining over the past couple of months he’s been nearly run off the road by speeders and erratic operators at the listed location. The main complaint is drivers between noon and 8 p.m. traveling northbound on West Street where the two lanes merge into one.

Suspicious

5:38 p.m.: A white male in his 40s wearing all black and black paint on his face was seen at 35 Hallock St. He was possibly dropped off there, and didn’t know where he was. He was knocking on windows and talking through them. Involved parties were behind the garage at listed address drinking beer. Both parties moved along.

8:57 p.m.: Officers checked Goodwill, 183 University Dr. Glass was found on the sidewalk. All windows and doors were secured and not damaged.

Assist Business/Agency

5:57 p.m.: A resident and maintenance worker at The Boulders, 188 East Hadley St., was looking for assistance in clearing parties out of the parking lot in front of building 125. The reporting party did not believe the people were residents and they were making a lot of noise, drinking and possibly smoking marijuana. An officer spoke with the involved parties. Two lived within the complex. Officers advised the nonresidents that they can no longer gather in parking lot. Involved parties were cooperative and left the area.

6:15 p.m.: Police assisted with code enforcement at 287 Grantwood Dr. Parking issues were observed at listed address and information was passed on to code enforcement.

Disturbance

8:22 p.m.: A reporting party stated another male was giving him a hard time at Judie’s Restaurant, 51 North Pleasant St. Police services were rendered at the establishment.

8:34 p.m.: A person was observed on the sidewalk at Judie’s restaurant, 51 North Pleasant St. Officers advised him to leave the downtown area and refrain from bothering other parties.

10:23 p.m.: An involved party was seen walking down the roadway and was observed punching a road sign. He agreed it was a poor decision and advised he would calm down for the rest of the night.

Liquor Law Violation

9:20 p.m.: An involved party was carrying an open Twisted Tea can at 615 Main St. The person was advised of the town bylaw for open containers and issued a warning.

9:26 p.m.: An involved party was issued a summons on charges of being a person under 21 in possession of alcohol and a town bylaw for having an open container of alcohol at 53 Fearing St.

10:26 p.m.: An involved party was placed under arrest for being a minor in possession of alcohol and an open container violation at 32 Fearing St. During booking, he was found to be in possession of cocaine and a fake I.D.

10:32 p.m.: Officers observed a person with an open container of alcohol on a public way at 43 Fearing St. The person was identified to be under the age of 21 and will be summoned.

10:46 p.m.: Officers observed an involved party with an open container of alcohol at 32 Fearing St. The person was arrested with charges of being a person under 21 in possession of alcohol and for having an open container.

11:10 p.m.: A warning was issued for an open container at 121 Meadow St. The town bylaw was explained.

Town Bylaw Violation

9:57 p.m.: A summons and citation were issued to an involved party at 785 Main St. The person is being charged with having an open container of alcohol.

Noise Complaint

12:44 a.m.: A reporting party advised of loud noises from a party at 24 McClellan St. The resident was cooperative and agreed to shut down for the night.

1:55 p.m.: A reporting party advised of four guys in their 40s outside, drinking beer and being loud at 188 East Hadley Rd., Apt. 115. The people were gone on police arrival.

10:43 p.m.: A noise complaint was reported for loud voices and a party at 827 East Pleasant St. An area search was conducted by police, and noises were heard.

11:22 p.m.: A noise complaint was reported for loud yelling/talking/running around near 175 Chestnut St. The noise was from foot traffic from guests leaving a registered party. An officer spoke with residents, advised them of the complaint and issued a warning.

Motor Vehicle Crash

10:51 p.m.: Ernie’s Towing was called to a motor vehicle crash for a black 2004 Ford Expedition.

Assist Amherst Fire Department

11:41 p.m.: 911 caller reported a porch collapse at 15 Fearing St., causing gas line and electrical damage. Parties fled the scene as there was an active gas leak. A building inspector, electrical inspector and management were on scene. Police assisted with traffic on Allen and Fearing Street. Fearing Street from North Pleasant to Allen Street was shut down and traffic was diverted. The residence was deemed uninhabitable at the time based on damages.

Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018

Noise Complaint

12:42 a.m.: A noise complaint of paving at 479 West St. was called in. When an officer arrived, no one was in the area.

12:54 a.m.: A registered party said a loud party at 126 Bridge St. was stealing wood from a neighbor’s yard. The residents of the listed address said they were unaware of their guests stealing wood and the party was cleared out.

1:36 a.m.: A loud party/yelling was reported at 310 Belchertown Rd.

1:43 a.m.: The reporting party at 203 Middle St. complained that several college-aged people were walking on her property, including the front lawn and driveway. The registered party called back with a second complaint. No noise was heard upon arrival.

1:49 a.m.: A registered party of 480 South Pleasant St. advised of a loud house party on the street. A warning was issued to the involved party.

2:17 a.m.: A registered party at 130 Summer St. called in foot traffic for an outdoor party next to her home, several Ubers driving up and down the street and general noise. The small gathering was cleared out and Uber drivers picking up guests was sourced as the cause of traffic.

7:08 a.m.: A call complaining about college-aged people partying and a dog barking all night was received from 675 Main St. The registered party advised that a neighbor heard the people talking about how they found the dog and was concerned about the dog’s ownership. The dog was located and brought to the pound. It was the same dog APD found earlier in the night.

11:18 a.m.: Loud voices from the rear of a location in 702 Main St. were reported by a registered party. No noise was heard upon an officer’s arrival.

1:05 a.m.: A noise complaint was called in for a loud party on the second floor apartment above Spirit Haus, 338 College St. The call was held due to high priority calls. Two more reporting parties called in the party. Upon police arrival, approximately a dozen individuals were behind the location consuming alcoholic beverages and the party on the second floor was still going on. Officers observed college-aged individuals, many of whom appeared to be under 21 years old and consuming alcohol. Officers placed an uncooperative resident under arrest for a town bylaw noise violation and two residents were also summoned for the town bylaw.

10:34 p.m.: A registered party stated that there was loud music coming from the surrounding area of 78 Northampton Rd.

Liquor Law Violation

12:31 a.m.: A verbal warning was given to an involved person for a liquor law violation.

12:58 a.m.: A warning was issued to the two underage parties for the possession of open liquor at 95 Montague Rd. A small amount of alcohol was dumped out on the scene.

1:57 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a minor in possession of three Natural Light Beers who was seen urinating in public. The alcohol was dumped out by the involved party at 18 North Hadley Rd.

4:59 p.m.: Two 20-year-olds were charged with liquor possession under the age of 21 at 36 Hobart Ln. after walking around with an open can of Busch Light.

5:22 p.m.: A warning was issued to a listed party on 64 Railroad St. who had open cans of spiked seltzer. They were advised of the town’s bylaws and the contents of the open container were destroyed.

5:53 p.m.: A warning was issued to an involved party at 21 Hobart St.

6:00 p.m.: A warning was issued to an involved party over the age of 21 for an open container at 15 Hobart Ln.

6:35 p.m.: A 20-year-old from Worcester was summoned for arrest on a charge of an open container of alcohol at 51 Hobart Ln.

6:40 p.m.: A warning was issued to two involved parties for a liquor law violation at 24 Hobart Ln.

6:44 p.m.: A 19-year-old man from Manhattan, New York was arrested on a charge of possession of liquor under 21 at 24 Hobart Ln.

7:28 p.m.: A 20-year-old man was taken into custody for possession of alcohol at 51 Hobart Ln.

11:31 p.m.:  A 20-year-old with an open container was issued a warning for being a minor in possession of alcohol at 28 Nutting Ave. The liquid in the container was poured out.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:41 a.m.: A white 2015 Volkswagen Jetta was stopped at 512 East Pleasant St.

2:05 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a black 2017 Ram 1500 for stop sign violations at 586 South Pleasant St.

3:06 a.m.: The registered owner of a black 2015 Mazda was stopped at the Colonial Village Apartments and showed a suspended license. The registered owner was not the operator.

8:56 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the registered operator of a grey 2011 Toyota Camry at 513 North Pleasant St.

4:47 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a black 2014 Subaru Forester.

Recovered Property

1:11 a.m.: A wallet was found outside of Antonio’s Pizza, 31 North Pleasant St., containing a Massachusetts driver’s license, a UMass I.D., Bank of America debit card, Twin River casino card, MGM card, Foxwoods card, $412 in cash and several store cards. A small baggie of what appeared to be cocaine was located behind the driver’s license.

8:48 p.m.: An involved party left her cell phone case on a merchant’s table in front of Judie’s Restaurant, 51 North Pleasant St. Inside of her wallet case was a Massachusetts driver’s license, a UMass I.D. and a $20 bill.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

1:39 a.m.: The involved party was intoxicated and attempted to get into his motor vehicle, located on 132 North Pleasant St. After speaking with an officer, who told him the consequences of driving while intoxicated, the man chose to lock his vehicle and walked to his residence on the UMass campus.

Motor Vehicle Pursuit

1:47 a.m.: A low-speed pursuit led to the arrest of an adult. The motor vehicle failed to stop on Southbound Rte 116, entering Hadley, at approximately 50 miles per hour. The vehicle stopped on the Rte 116 and Rocky Hill overpass, where the operator failed a sobriety test. The 20-year-old man of 16 Brandywine Dr. was charged with failure to stop for the police, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, failure to stop/yield and violation of marked lanes. The vehicle was brought to Ernie’s Towing.

Suspicious

1:58 a.m.: A male was observed having an animated discussion with a light post outside of The Spoke on East Pleasant St. He was working out a personal issue with a friend. The involved party was advised to keep the animated actions to a minimum to avoid unwanted attention to himself.

5:03 p.m.: A registered party stated a group of men were working on a car in a parking lot at The Boulders, 188 East Hadley St. while drinking and playing loud music. He didn’t believe any of the men lived in the complex. The parties on the scene stated they were brothers of a resident of the complex. They were advised to leave before management asked them to leave.

Citizen Transport

2:57 a.m.: An involved party was transported from 58 North East St. to Cashin Hall at UMass. The University of Massachusetts Police Department were notified.

Animal Complaint

3:12 a.m.: A dog was found walking on the sidewalk in front of 800 Main St. No one answered the call to the phone number on the tag, so they dog was left to find its way home.

2:23 p.m.: A registered party was looking for some assistance with an injured rabbit. The rabbit was not mortally injured and was moved to a safe place to heal.

Assist Other PD

5:52 a.m.: Authorities were looking for a shirtless white male, approximately 29 years old, in black shorts. He had red hair and a red beard and possibly had injuries and a box cutter. The search of Amherst was negative. The man was later located in Pelham.

12:20 p.m.: In the vicinity of 1500 West St., a “be on the lookout” was issued for an involved party under larceny, possibly headed to Holyoke.

Traffic

6:13 a.m.: A registered party advised several cars parked in vendor spots for a farmers’ market. Two of the cars in the Spring Street Lot included a white Toyota Rav4 and 2018 Toyota. The vehicles were violating a “No Parking Tow Zone.”

6:18 p.m.: A grey Honda Civic Hybrid was towed from 39 Hobart Ln. due to parking in a tow zone. A parking citation was issued and the vehicle was removed by Ernie’s Towing.

Assist AFD

7:31 a.m.: AFD followed up on a porch collapse from Friday on 15 Fearing St. The home was insecure.

Assist Citizen

10:56 a.m.: A registered party called to report illegal dumping. The involved party was called and his dad said he would pass along the information to stop hanging out at the location and to clean up his mess.

9:00 p.m.: A registered party of 1010 North Pleasant St. wanted to advise the police of a party her and her roommates were having. She was aware of the Party Smart program and its application program.

Motor Vehicle Crash

11:30 a.m.: A registered party reported what appeared to be a single car off the road into a tree belt in South Hadley. A second registered party believes two cars were involved with no apparent injuries. A third registered party reports that a Mustang illegally passed her at a high speed. It is believed the operator of the Mustang was negligent due to a mental health crisis. AFD requested for a voluntary mental health evaluation on the involved party in the Mustang. She was cited and a summons was issued for her arrest.

1:26 p.m.: A registered party reported a two-car accident on 19 Northampton Rd., involving a grey 2013 Volvo and grey 1998 Honda Civic. A second registered party stated it looked like one of the cars was smoking and was unsure about the injuries. Assistance for traffic was needed.

6:38 p.m.: A registered operator reported his grey 2017 Subaru Forester was struck by an unknown vehicle during the day. The rear driver’s side quarter panel and bumper sustained scuff and scrape marks. It appeared the offending vehicle was white due to white paint transfer on the grey Subaru.

Assist Business/Agency

4:12 p.m.: A registered party from Amherst Typewriter stated a vendor outside of his store had all of their things set up on a bench, making it unavailable to the other vendors outside.

Trespass

4:43 p.m.: A registered party on 165 Main St. reported the trespassing of a red 1988 Toyota Camry.

Disturbance

7:42 p.m.: A registered party stated her friend was assaulted by an involved party who fled Colonial Village Apt. 25 on a bicycle. The involved party initially rolled up his sleeves, threw his backpack on the ground and removed his shirt while throwing his arms in the air and challenged the police. More units were requested and the involved party soon calmed down.

Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018

Noise Complaint

12:15 a.m.: A noise complaint was reported after loud student voices were heard on Sunset Ave. General foot traffic in the area was causing the noise. No houses were identified as a source.

12:36 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to Iota Gamma Upsilon on 406 North Pleasant St. after a registered party reported a loud party at the corner of the location with a stereo on the front porch. APD spoke with the president and the loud stereo was shut off.

12:46 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a loud party across from 1 Edgehill Place. The small gathering at the residence was cleared out by the listed resident after having windows opened with loud music and voices.

2:18 a.m.: Loud people with a guitar were reported on a porch at 314 North Pleasant St. A resident was advised of the noise town bylaw.

Disturbance

12:08 a.m.: A disturbance was reported at The Spoke, 35 East Pleasant St., as a bouncer was escorting a party from the premises. An involved party had gotten back in after being previously removed and was advised not to return and sent on his way.

1:19 a.m.: An involved party was given a courtesy escort to the Courtyard Marriot after being kicked out of Antonio’s Pizza, 31 North Pleasant St. The person was from out of town looking for his friends while swearing at people.

Recovered Property

12:29 a.m.: A cell phone, Massachusetts driver’s license, UMass student I.D. and Eastern Bank card were turned in by an Uber driver found at 100 South Pleasant St. The involved party retrieved their belongings.

5:18 a.m.: A reporting party found a wallet with cards in it on the ground in front of Stackers, 57 North Pleasant St. The items were entered into police property.

4:42 p.m.: A People’s United Bank card found at 2 Main St. was turned in. The owner was not in the computer system. Card was entered into computer system because multiple first and last names in RMV database matched the name on the card.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:45 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued after a rear passenger was standing up with her upper body hanging out the window at 364 North Pleasant St.

12:58 a.m.: A verbal warning issued to a gray 2000 Volvo for red light violation.

2:12 a.m.: The driver of a green 1999 Toyota Avalon was issued a citation at 141 North Pleasant St. for operating without headlights.

2:41 a.m.: A verbal warning was given to the registered operator of a white 2016 Subaru Forester at 324 Northampton Rd.

Fight

1:00 a.m.: A reporting party called in an active fight with punches thrown between fraternity members and nine white male parties. Nothing was pursued and there were no signs of any injuries on any involved individuals.

Suspicious

2:47 a.m.: White males seen with no shirts fled the area of 813 North Pleasant St. with traffic cones. The two men fled on foot toward UMass.

Fraud

11:07 a.m.: A reporting party called from 68 Mt. Holyoke Dr. about a fraudulent charge on his credit card. He reported that his card was used to purchase a sectional couch and he is refuting the charge with Citi Bank. The delivery location was a business in Worcester. Police could not make contact with the business; not open that day. Police will attempt to make contact again in the week.

Animal Complaint

12:02 p.m.: A reporting party called about a potentially rabid racoon in the area of 420 Riverglade Dr. The animal was gone upon police arrival.

12:45 p.m.: An injured falcon was found on the porch of 42 Harris St. foaming at the mouth. An officer believes the falcon struck a window and was most likely stunned and will fly off.

12:56 p.m.: A reporting party called in some loose dogs running in and out of the road at 300 Sunderland Rd.

Traffic

12:39 p.m.: A reporting party called for assistance at Judie’s Restaurant, 51 North Pleasant St. She could not drive her vehicle out of the parking lot because the vehicle parked behind her was too close to her bumper. The reporting party said she asked the owner of the other vehicle to move his car and he refused. The reporting party was parked over the white line and the vehicle in front of her was illegally parked, wedging her into the spot. The reporting party called the man an “asshole” and demanded he move his vehicle. Vehicle behind the reporting party moved and she was able to safely move her vehicle.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

2:45 p.m.: A reporting party driving a black 2010 Hyundai Sonata ran out of gas and was on the side of the road at 529 Belchertown Rd.Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] Johnson can be reached at [email protected].