Police logs: Friday, Feb. 15 – Monday, Feb. 18

One person was arrested over the long weekend
(Maxwell Zaleski/Daily Collegian)

The following police logs are from the Amherst Police Department from Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 to Monday, Feb. 18, 2019.

Friday, Feb. 15, 2019

Animal Complaint

8:56 a.m.: A reporting party called about what they believed was an injured owl laying on its back west of 630 Bay Road. An officer investigated and confirmed the owl was deceased.

Recovered Property

10:38 a.m.: An anonymous person turned in a maroon wallet to the Amherst Police Station. The owner was contacted and the wallet was returned to them in the lobby of the station.

Suspicious

11:19 a.m.: An employee of ServiceNET said a resident of Colonial Village, Apt. 37 at 81 Belchertown Road aggressively opened the door with a “large black item” which was believed to be a gun. Officers spoke to the resident and identified the item as a nine-inch toy truck. The resident wanted to apologize to the employee for frightening them, but they declined at the time, citing they were too shaken up.

10:30 p.m.: A reporting party noticed her back door was open on 16 McClellan St. after returning from a hockey game. The house was checked by the resident, and officer and K9 Marvin and it was determined there was no forced entry. It appeared the door was left ajar accidently.

10:52 p.m.: A man inside of a red 2004 Chevrolet Malibu was reported sitting in his car for approximately 20 minutes in the parking garage at 51 Boltwood Walk. The involved party was watching a video on his phone while eating.

11:03 p.m.: An elderly woman with reported mental health issues thought she heard the handle of her front door jiggling and thought someone was breaking into her residence at 422 Belchertown Road., Apt. 1. No one was in the area.

Larceny

12:43 p.m.: A reporting party stated her Spyder jacket, valued at $350, was taken off a hanger at The Spoke, 35 E. Pleasant St., earlier that morning. The reporting party’s keys and ID were taken out of the left pocket of the jacket and thrown on the floor, however, her white AirPods in the right pocket were taken with the coat. An officer went to the location to review surveillance footage.

Assist Citizen

2:28 p.m.: A reporting party said he was highly intoxicated the night before and thought he took an Uber from the center of town to his residence at 144 Summer St. The reporting party remembers he was in the back of a black Ford pickup truck with two white males, who asked how much money he had. He gave the two men $20 before leaving the truck, but believes the two men chased him. The reporting party’s roommate, who was sober at the time, saw the two men, but did not call APD. Officers are waiting for a follow-up and/or statement from the reporting party and roommate.

Traffic

4:27 p.m.: A black sedan with a Connecticut license plate was reported to be parked in the middle of Fairview Way, not allowing other cars to pass. The vehicle was gone on arrival.

11:54 p.m.: An anonymous male reported six cars parked in a tow zone. Upon officer arrival, two cars were parked on the side of State Street, not in a tow zone, and they were being removed.

Motor Vehicle Crash

4:39 p.m.: The operator of a grey 2015 Honda Fit was traveling westbound on Snell Street when it stopped for an oncoming car coming under the bridge. A blue 2019 Subaru Forester struck the Honda from behind, scuffing its front bumper on the driver’s side and doing minor damage to the Honda’s rear bumper on the driver’s side.

5:38 p.m.: An accident report was filed after the operator of a blue 2018 Subaru Impreza was travelling east and attempting to make a left turn into the Spirit Haus parking lot at 388 College St. The operator of a red Dodge Caravan was traveling west and hit the Subaru broadside on the passenger side. An unknown blue Station Wagon did not stop after pulling out of the Spirit Haus parking lot and collided with the Subaru. The Subaru’s driver’s side and passenger side were damaged and the Caravan saw damage to its front passenger side.

Motor Vehicle Stop

11:20 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a black 2013 Audi SE A4 for not having a front plate at 265 Belchertown Road.

Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019

Disturbance

12:20 a.m.: A reporting party stated eight black males were attempting to get into a party at Pi Kappa Phi, 38 Nutting Ave., after a verbal argument. The reporting party said they were no longer admitting guests and the involved parties were advised to leave. It was explained to the reporting party that their large, loud parties attract people walking over from campus and the residence could result in a violation of the town bylaws.

3:30 a.m.: A reporting party stated her boyfriend was attempting to get into her apartment to get her phone at 797 Main St., Apt 1. Officers responded to the location and attempted to make contact with the reporting party. When they finally located the reporting party, she was uncooperative with officers and initially provided an incorrect name for herself. She eventually advised police that her and her boyfriend were intoxicated and had a verbal argument, after which her boyfriend left but then attempted to return through a window to retrieve his cell phone. The reporting party was unwilling to give a description of her boyfriend. Her rights pertaining to domestic abuse as per chapter 209A of the Massachusetts General Laws were explained and she denied assistance.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:58 a.m.: A blue 1997 BMW was issued a verbal warning on N. Pleasant Street.

Follow Up

10:10 a.m.: A 77-year-old person from Amherst was issued a summons at Ren’s Mobil at 161 N. Pleasant St. for endorsing and attempting to distribute a fraudulent check (utter promissory note falsely endorsed).

Assist Other Police Department

4:19 p.m.: A reporting party stated they had received a phone call from a student’s on-campus employer stating he was supposed to be at work at 4 p.m., but did not show up. The employer stated they had attempted to call him and that he did not respond to any calls or emails. His last use of a campus card was determined to be on Feb. 13 at 8:52 p.m. No threats were made, and the employer stated the person was a good student who did not usually miss work. Upon police arrival at the alleged address of the student, 332 West St., officers found the house to be vacant. All of the observable rooms were empty with no furniture. The driveway was found to not be plowed and one vehicle was in the driveway, registered to a third party. It appeared that no one had lived there for quite some time.

Assist Citizen

6:15 p.m.: Reports of a locked bathroom at Starbucks located at 71 N. Pleasant St. made a reporting party worried that someone was locked inside. The Amherst Fire Department assisted officers in opening the door, and no one was inside. The bathroom seemed to have been locked on accident.

7:17 p.m.: A reporting party, at 81 Belchertown Road, stated that would like to speak to an officer regarding boxes she has and that her staff sometimes touches her belongings. The person ended up just wanting to talk to an officer.

Motor Vehicle Crash

6:47 p.m.: A brown 2016 Subaru Outback was unoccupied and parked in the parking lot of the People’s Bank at 56 Amity St. A blue 2013 Honda CR-V was in the process of pulling into the parking spot to the left of the Outback when the Honda’s passenger front bumper made contact with the Outback’s driver’s side bumper. Minor damage was estimated to total under $1,000 to both vehicles.

Suspicious

7:58 p.m.: An unattended black suitcase was reported to be outside of Glazed Doughnuts, 19 N. Pleasant St. Upon officer inspection, no suitcase was found.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

8:10 p.m.: A reporting party stated a brown 2006 Toyota Highlander cut in front of him while he was towing a vehicle for Ernie’s Towing at 10 Meadow St. No such vehicle was found.

Traffic

1:14 a.m.: A citation was issued to the operator of a black 2012 Jeep Patriot for leaving the vehicle unattended in front of Antonio’s Pizza at 31 N. Pleasant St.

10:14 p.m.: A reporting party was concerned for the well-being of two people who were crawling around in the road in front of Judie’s and made it to the front of High Horse at 24 N. Pleasant St. One person was found to be intoxicated and with a twisted ankle, where they denied medical attention. Both parties moved along without issue.

Noise Complaint

12:52 a.m.: A reporting party called in “loud voices” from Rolling Green Apt. 129 at 422 Belchertown Road. The listed party was advised of the complaint and the town bylaw consequences and were issued a warning.

11:10 p.m.: Loud music was reported to come from the third-floor apartment at 15 McClellan St. Residents were advised of the town bylaws for noise and shut the music off for the night. A warning was issued.

Liquor Law Violation

11:23 p.m.: A summons was issued to a 21-year-old person from Sandwich at Ren’s Mobil, 161 N. Pleasant St., for carrying an open container of alcohol.

Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019

Noise Complaint

12:01 a.m.: Three people were yelling loudly in an apartment located at 81 Belchertown Road, Apt. 133. They were advised of the complaint and agreed to be quiet for the rest of the night. Town bylaws concerning noise were explained.

Assist Amherst Fire Department

12:02 a.m.: A female party was found to be intoxicated and unconscious but still breathing at 699 Main St. No one knew who she was, and party goers were uncooperative and argumentative when asked to leave the scene. The person did not have a phone, wallet or any form of identification.

Suspicious

12:22 a.m.: A male party in a black hoodie and blue jeans was reported to be laying in the back parking lot of The Spoke at 35 E. Pleasant St. while being confrontational to passing people after being kicked out. The person refused to leave the parking lot and advised officers he was planning on going back into the bar as soon as officers left. The manager on scene told the person he was trespassing and asked him to leave immediately. The person had to be physically escorted off the property by officers, and while being escorted off the premises became uncooperative. The person stuck his arms out and began challenging officers to fight him while being pushed back by a friend. The person, a 21-year-old from Reading, was placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and trespassing.

7:22 p.m.: A reporting party stated an older white male in his 70’s with gray facial hair walked around the back of her house at 15 Cosby Ave. and then came into the home with a small pizza. The reporting party saw him and he said “sorry wrong door,” and walked out of the house. He intended to go to 19 Cosby Ave. and advised police that he had walked into the wrong house on accident, and that it was a genuine mistake. The reporting party was notified of the mistake.

Assist Other Police Department

1:47 a.m.: A “be on the lookout” was issued out of Holyoke for a dark colored Acura MDX with unknown plates that was last seen on Route 5 in Holyoke traveling north. A stop and hold was issued in regards to a breaking and entering in Holyoke.

Assist Citizen

1:37 a.m.: A Lyft driver stated a female passenger was passed out in the back of his car and needed assistance getting her home. After speaking to the passenger, she was able to direct the Lyft driver to her destination.

Motor Vehicle Stop

1:49 a.m.: A brown 2011 Nissan Sentra was stopped near 141 N. Pleasant St. for a headlight violation. A field sobriety test checked out to be okay. A warning was issued.

Disturbance

3:33 a.m.: Officers were advised of an argument where a drunk male was staying the night at 1040 N. Pleasant St., Apt. 567. The male party was cooperative and agreed to call an Uber back to his home. Officers stood by until the Uber arrived.

Monday, Feb. 18, 2019

Noise Complaint

12:17 a.m.: A reporting party at 188 E. Hadley Road complained about noise from neighbors. All of the residents were advised to quiet down for the night.

Motor Vehicle Stop

1:05 a.m.: A reporting party stated a white 2012 Dodge Journey on N. Pleasant Street was following them extremely close in slick and snowy conditions. The motor vehicle operator was advised of the hazards and was issues a warning for following too closely.

9:14 a.m.: A warning was issued to the operator of a grey 2003 Pontiac Vibe on N. Pleasant Street for a defective headlight.

10:36 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a motor vehicle operator on Mattoon Street for impeding operation due to snow covering their windows and headlights.

10:43 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued at 29 Cottage St. to the operator of a blue 2002 Mercury Sable for impeding operation due to snow covering their windows and headlights.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

6:24 a.m.: A motor vehicle was found in a lane at the intersection of Sunderland Road, N. Pleasant Street and Montague Road. The operator states he had been slowing down for a red light, but when trying to start again, his engine light went on. The operator could only move backward when the vehicle was in drive. Ernie’s towed the motor vehicle into a nearby parking lot for the time being in between snow tows.

Citizen Transport

8:54 a.m.: A guest of the Inn on Boltwood, 30 Boltwood Ave., needed a ride to Ernie’s to retrieve their motor vehicle that had been towed overnight because of the snow ban that was in effect. The caller was transported to Ernie’s.

Motor Vehicle Crash

9:29 a.m.: A reporting party stated their blue 2007 Honda Civic SE spun off the road at 376 S. East St. and got stuck in a snowbank. Responders assisted as needed with the traffic and pushed the car back onto the road.

12:17 p.m.: A white 2016 GMC Sierra and a white 2001 International Box truck were in a crash at 32 Northampton Road due to heavy traffic and show. There was minor damage to the push bar of the Sierra, but no injuries were reported.

2:28 p.m.: A reporting party called stating his black 2017 Ford Escape had been hit and damaged by a plow sometime between the previous night and that afternoon.

8:22 p.m.: A reporting party stated their grey 2012 Honda Odyssey had been hit while parked at 35 Glendale Road sometime between 11 p.m. the previous night and 9 a.m. Monday morning. Damage was found to the passenger side front quarter panel. The reporting party had already contacted their insurance company, who advised them to report to the police.

Assist Business/Agency

2:36 a.m.: A man came into the police station with his handler to register, but there was no one available to register him. The man was told to come back at 4 p.m. that night and see officers.

5:40 p.m.: An involved party came into the police station to be registered, but found that they were already registered.

Assist Citizen

3:41 p.m.: A reporting party came into the police station lobby to report a dispute with his ex-employer over money owed. The reporting party stated he was interviewed for a job at North Hot Pot, 20 Belchertown Road, about three weeks ago. He said during the interview he was questioned about his hair and tattoos, worrying the interviewer that he may be in a gang. The reporting party stated he is not. The reporting party stated that he was only called in to work one day in the last three weeks, and that while he was working, some of the Asian employees were speaking about him in Chinese, which the reporting party does not speak. The reporting party furthered that he worked below minimum wage for tips and made only $30 in cash from tips and $180 in credit tips. The reporting party was told to return that day to get the credit tips. The reporting party returned to the workplace and found he had been replaced and was asked to turn in his company shirt. He traded the shirt for the amount he was owed. Having contractual law questions, the reporting party was referred to the Attorney General’s office.

Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter @mikepconnors. Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Irina Costache can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @irinaacostache.