UMPD Logs: Friday, March 15 – Sunday, March 17

A quiet weekend on campus

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, March 15, 2019 to Sunday, March 17, 2019.

Friday, March 15, 2019

Lost/Found Property:

1:38 p.m.: A reporting party advised of a lost key to a room. The reporting party was given a call number for a key replacement.

Alarm-Fire:

2:30 p.m.: An alarm went off at the Agricultural Engineering Building at UMass after a monitor in room 120 got above 115 degrees. Two officers entered the building to remove 10 students and faculty who refused to leave the building. Emergency Health Services and the Amherst Fire Department were on scene.

Assist Citizen:

4:28 p.m.: A reporting party believed his vehicle was struck sometime on Thursday in Lot 31 on Governors Drive. The driver’s side of the vehicle had a scratch.

Traffic Stop:

4:38 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a gray 2007 Jeep Commander for driving with an expired registration in Lot 50D on Sunset Drive. The vehicle will remain parked until the registration is renewed.

6:16 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a gray 2016 Honda HR-V for a one-way violation in Lot 71 on Massachusetts Avenue.

7:45 p.m.: A traffic warning was issued to the operator of a gray 2011 Toyota SE Camry for driving with an expired license plate on Massachusetts Avenue. The plate was renewed roadside.

11:57 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a silver 2007 Chevy for defective equipment on Commonwealth Avenue by the Recreation Center.

Animal Complaint:

6:15 p.m.: A dog was reported inside a car in Lot 25S across from the power plant on Commonwealth Avenue. The dog was not in distress and the windows were cracked.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Traffic Stop

12:09 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a gray 2012 Toyota Prius for driving without headlights on Governor Drive.

1:30 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a black 2010 Acura SE TSX for operating a vehicle with no inspection sticker and with no license in possession on the intersection of Eastman Lane and North Thatcher Way.

11:13 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a white 2016 Jaguar SE XF for a one-way violation on Sylvan Drive.

5:45 p.m.: A gray 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt at Boyden Gymnasium on Commonwealth Avenue was towed by Ernie’s Towing for parking violations.

Suspicious Person/Activity:

1:46 a.m.: A reporting party advised police at the intersection of Presidents Drive and Massachusetts Avenue that he had just gotten out of an Uber and the driver seemed intoxicated and had difficulty maintaining a lane. An officer followed the vehicle and no erratic operation was seen.

Lost/Found Property:

9 a.m.: A black vehicle key with an alarm and door open function, a white access card and a mini pink croc on a UMass lanyard was found in Lot 22A on University Drive.

Assist Agency:

1:01 p.m.: Staff reported that a door that should have been locked at the University Health Services building was found open. An officer conducted a walk-through and found that all interior doors and some drawers were open. The keyholder was called to the scene and shut all of the interior doors.

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Open Window/Door

12:33 a.m.: An officer was able to secure a door inside University Health Services on Infirmary Way near the loading dock.

Traffic Stop

12:45 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a black 2005 Chevrolet Colorado for failing to stop on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:04 a.m.: The operator of a red 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek was given a verbal warning for a one-way violation on Mullins Way.

1:24 a.m.: A verbal warning for defective equipment was given to the operator of a black 2012 Kia SE Forte on North Village Drive.

9:32 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2011 Lexus RX 350 was issued a warning for no headlights on Massachusetts Avenue.

Lost/Found Property

9:31 a.m.: A reporting party stated she found a wallet on the ground in the community gardens located east of the UMPD station on Tilson Farm Road. The brown, leather, bi-fold wallet with the initials “JRC” on the exterior was placed in an evidence locker before it was returned to the owner.

Alarm Elevator

1:26 p.m.: Three people were stuck in an elevator in Pierpont Hall in the Southwest Residential Area before being freed.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

5:14 p.m.: An officer states a vehicle with a flat tire was off the road in front of the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue. Services were rendered.

Traffic Enforcement

6:43 p.m.: A verbal warning for speed was issued to the operator of a black 2008 Toyota Highlander on Eastman Lane with a valid foreign license.

Accidental Property Damage

11:08 p.m.: Several calls came in after there was a two-motor vehicle accident at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue. One reporting party believed airbags were deployed and another stated a telephone pole was involved. Ernie’s Towing impounded one of the vehicles and a man was transported back to his residence on N. Pleasant Street by an officer.