Eight simple tricks to transform your winter wardrobe to keep up with spring’s latest trends

Easy tips and tricks to bring out your inner fashionista

Finally, winter is over and spring is definitely in the air. The days are longer and (somewhat) warmer and before long the first flower buds will poke their heads up in the soil. Spring is a time of renewal and is also the perfect time to revamp your wardrobe to tie in the season’s latest trends.

Because this time of year can be temperamental in terms of weather, it is often hard to let go of the boots and the sweaters that kept you warm all winter long. Fortunately, you probably have a lot of staples in your closet that can easily transition your looks from late winter to early spring.

Compiled below is a list of user-friendly tips and tricks to bring out your inner fashionista:

1. Trade out your suede boots for a pair of ballet flats or sneakers.

A simple pair of ballet flats are one of those fashion accessories that will always be timeless. They will be sure to complement any outfit perfectly, and give you an added flair of elegance. If you’re going for more of an athletic/relaxed look, sneakers are the way to go.

2. Layer a floral scarf over a jacket or light sweater.

There is one constant with every spring trend, and that is floral. Floral, in general, screams spring. But if you’re like me and are hesitant of jumping into a trend feet first, an easy way to transition is to layer a floral scarf over a solid light sweater during the day or a jacket at night. It’s an easy way to incorporate the style without going overboard, and it makes an outfit look effortlessly chic!

3. If you don’t want to ditch your boots just yet, wear faux leather instead of suede.

You may have heard “boots are solely for winter.” This may have been the case once upon a time, but not so much anymore. Boots are a fashion statement, in it of themselves, and can be transitional to virtually any season. Suede boots, however, pretty much do scream winter; whereas faux leather is optimal for the often cold weather that accompanies early spring in New England.

4. Jean jackets, the ultimate lifesaver for cool spring days and evenings!

By the end of winter, I think it’s safe to say that everyone is over wearing bulky coats. While the weather takes a while to warm up, you definitely need something to keep you warm and a jean jacket is a staple that can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the look you’re going for. Lighter denim washes are best for daytime and can be paired with leggings or jeans of your choice. Darker denim works well for a night out and can be paired with anything from a dress to faux leather leggings.

5. Wear some bright color tops to compliment your hair and skin tone.

If you haven’t noticed yet, 2019 is the year of bright, vivid color. The good thing about bright colors is that they compliment almost every hair and skin tone, from fair to deep; not to mention they are very successful in chasing away your winter blues. Fuchsia and turquoise are examples of vibrant colors that can spice up any look.

6. Throw on a pair of capris or cropped leggings.

Shorter pant legs are the perfect way to welcome spring. And, it’s a plus to get a little sun on your legs without being too cold.

7. Pair a chunky sweater with a lighter material skirt.

Virtually effortless, yet very chic. You’ll be ready to strut the streets of New York City, or your college campus; the sweater is sure to keep you warm, while the skirt is an excellent way to segue into the season.

8. Tie your hair back with a floral hair scarf.

Who wants to use a plain ponytail holder when you can tie your hair back with a floral hair scarf? It’s all about being subtle with trends. And once you finally master the messy ponytail, it’s only fair that you accessorize it appropriately!

Joanna Buoniconti can be reached at [email protected].