UMPD Logs: Friday, April 5 – Sunday, April 7

Two summonses were issued

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, April 5, 2019 to Sunday, April 7, 2019.

Friday, April 5, 2019

Traffic Enforcement

1:08 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation on University Drive.

Traffic Stop

1:25 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to register vehicle or display license plate at the Computer Science Building on Governors Drive.

1:50 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on Eastman Lane by Totman Gymnasium.

1:52 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation at the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

2:07 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on Southwest Circle.

2:33 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding in Lot 34 on Massachusetts Avenue.

10:06 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a registration decal violation on Commonwealth Avenue.

1:36 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a marked lanes and inspection violations on University Drive.

8:40 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights at Boyden Fields on Commonwealth Avenue.

11:25 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to yield on the intersection of North Residential Drive and Eastman Lane.

11:34 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failing to stop or yield and for failing to display a license plate or register vehicle at Dallas Mall on University Drive.

11:58 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for sidewalk operation on the intersection of Orchard Hill Drive and Windmill Lane.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

2:26 a.m.: A vehicle located at Governors Drive had a flat tire. Ernie’s Towing was sent to the scene.

Assist Citizen

3:33 a.m.: A reporting party felt uncomfortable walking back to her dorm at North Apartment D from the South College Side of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library on Hicks Way and requested an escort.

11:33 a.m.: A reporting party stated an equipment cart was taken from the Fine Arts Center. The projector was located in the Studio Arts Building. A student had it in her studio.

12:22 p.m.: A reporting party stated she was concerned about a party asking for donations. The party was described as a white male wearing a pink scarf and hat. An area search for the party was negative.

4:24 p.m.: A reporting party stated a co-worker made concerning statements to her. An incident report was completed.

Lost/Found Property

4:32 a.m.: An iPhone, UMass ID and miscellaneous credit cards were left in an Uber vehicle.

4:06 p.m.: A silver Macbook was found in Machmer Hall on Hicks Way and entered into evidence. A party walked in claiming the computer, stating it belonged to her roommate. She was advised to have her roommate come in with her ID to claim the computer.

4:32 p.m.: A reporting party brought a lost wallet found at the Engineering and Computer Science Building on Governors Drive.

Fire

3:51 p.m.: The Amherst Fire Department stated there was a brush fire near lower Massachusetts Avenue near the route 116 entrance. The fire was a controlled burn by farmers near Route 116. AFD and the Hadley Fire Department were notified.

Fraud

4:52 p.m.: A reporting party believed she was scammed out of money when he paid $695 for an item and received a package with a note that stated “sorry” in it. The party was contacted via Instagram, and the payment was made via Bank of America. The reporting party was advised of his options and declined to file a report.

Accident-Leaving the Scene

5:30 p.m.: A vehicle was struck while parked in Lot 26 (west of Brooks Barn) on Governors Drive. The reporting party called back and stated the parties noticed the dent the previous night. The reporting party stated she was unable to determine where the accident actually happened based on the information she obtained from her roommate. She withdrew her request for a police report because she no longer believed it occurred on campus.

8:30 p.m.: A witness to an accident in Lot 54 at the top of Southwest Circle stated there was damage done to a parked vehicle. A second vehicle left the area. A plate number was provided and a vehicle with the number did not come back.

Parking Complaint

5:35 p.m.: Parking tickets were issued to vehicles taking up handicap parking spots in Lot 63 on the north end of Thatcher Road.

Assist Agency

6:28 p.m.: A reporting party stated a fraternity event was supposed to occur at night, but the fraternity never filled out the proper paperwork, and the event had been cancelled. There was a concern people were still going to show up, most likely coming from off-campus. The reporting party requested assistance in checking the area and assisting if need be. At 7 p.m., no one was present, and it was believed the event may have been held at another location. Officers said they will keep an eye open.

Alarm Fire-Trouble

7:51 p.m.: Fire trouble was reported at the Mullins Center practice rink on Commonwealth Avenue. Fire engine 1 was notified and stated the cause of trouble was a beam detector.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Suspicious Vehicle

12:32 p.m.: An officer stated she would check a vehicle on the sidewalk outside of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive. The operator of the vehicle quickly came outside of the building and moved his vehicle.

Accident-Property Damage

12:48 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was an accident in Lot 33C (west of University Drive). An officer stated the operator was issued a verbal warning for failing to use care in turning. Both vehicles were able to drive away.

Parking Complaint

9:50 a.m.: Two vehicles were issued parking tickets at the Commonwealth Honors College on Hicks Way.

1:14 p.m.: A reporting party said someone had parked in his spot outside of the Army ROTC building on Commonwealth Avenue. The vehicle had no affiliation in parking nor SPIRE, and Ernie’s Towing was requested to the scene. The vehicle was towed and impounded.

8:05 p.m.: Four parking tickets were issued in the horseshoe in the Southwest Residential Area.

9:27 p.m.: Two cars were moved at the horseshoe in Southwest Residential Area, one receiving a parking ticket.

Alarm-Fire

1:46 p.m.: Environmental Health and Safety and the Amherst Fire Department were notified when a fire alarm was activated in McNamara Dorm in Sylvan Residential Area on Eastman Lane. The alarm was set off due to cooking and was reset.

Traffic Stop

12:19 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective plate light on Chancellors Drive.

12:49 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights at Franklin Dining Commons on Thatcher Road.

1:01 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight on Massachusetts Avenue.

2:27 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Clark Hill Road.

9:40 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

4:27 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle at Boyden Gymnasium on Commonwealth Avenue for failure to yield.

4:37 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on University Drive and Stadium Access Road was issued a verbal warning for not having a front license plate.

8:06 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on University Drive was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights.

8:06 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue was issued a verbal warning for driving over the speed limit.

8:49 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue for a crosswalk violation.

8:54 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue for operating without headlights.

8:56 p.m.: An operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue stated they were having difficulties with the vehicle’s tail lights. An officer issued the party a verbal warning and advised them to drive with flashers on.

9:00 p.m.: A verbal warning for failing to stop at a stop sign was issued to an operator of a vehicle near Lot 32E (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

9:05 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with defective equipment and registration decal on Massachusetts Avenue, east of the Isenberg School of Management.

9:11 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle driving without headlights was issued a verbal warning on Massachusetts Avenue.

9:39 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights.

9:55 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on N. Pleasant Street was issued a verbal warning for operating with defective equipment.

11:45 p.m.: A safety violation earned the operator of a vehicle near Lot 32E (south of Massachusetts Avenue) a verbal warning.

11:46 p.m.: An operator of a vehicle on N. Hadley Road was stopped and cleared with a verbal warning for operating over the speed limit.

Suspicious Person/Activity

4:50 p.m.: An officer checked a vehicle in Lot 22A (west of University Drive) where the operator was waiting for help with a tire change.

11:43 p.m.: Parties outside of the Isenberg School of Management on Presidents Drive were sent on their way after their fake IDs were seized for destruction.

Traffic Enforcement

6:03 p.m.: A vehicle was stopped on Massachusetts Avenue near Lot 71 and the operator was issued a warning for inspection.

Assist Agency

6:18 p.m.: A reporting party from the PVTA in Northampton stated drivers were calling in due to a large number of non-transit buses blocking Haigis Mall. The area was cleared by the time officers arrived.

9:27 p.m.: UMPD assisted the Amherts Police Department with a motorcycle accident on N. Pleasant Street between the Fine Arts Center and Design Building. There were no injuries.

Liquor Law Violations

12:00 a.m.: A small amount of liquor was destroyed on Massachusetts Avenue.

6:29 p.m.: Two individuals were issued summons for being minors in possession near Lot 32E (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

7:03 p.m.: An officer checked a party near Lot 49B (across from Dickinson Hall in Orchard Hill Residential Area). The party was over 21 years old.

9:13 p.m.: Alcohol was seized for destruction at the horseshoe in Southwest Residential Area.

11:40 p.m.: A party outside of the Rosham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue was cleared after destroying a small amount of alcohol at the scene.

11:50 p.m.: A male over the age of 18 was arrested near the Isenberg School of Management and was transported to the station.

Larceny

6:46 p.m.: A reporting party stated $60 was stolen from his wallet inside of his duffle bag at the Recreation Center. He believes the theft took place between 1 and 3 p.m. when his bag was left unattended near the basketball courts.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

7:03 p.m.: A fire alarm sounded in Goessmann Laboratory on N. Pleasant Street. Facilities were notified and the accidental alarm was referred to the technicians.

Alarm – (Prefire)

8:29 p.m.: A fire alarm was activated in Prince Hall in Southwest Residential Area on Sunset Avenue. Facilities were notified and reset the alarm.

Alarm-Elevator

1:20 a.m.: Two parties were trapped in elevator six on the 13th floor at John Adams Dorm in Southwest on Fearing St. The parties were able to pry open the doors.

911 Hang-up Call

2:21 a.m.: The help phone was activated. No one would answer but voices could be heard. The call was tracked to Lot 71 (west of Whitmore) on Massachusetts Avenue, but nobody was found in the area.

Assist Citizen

10:25 a.m.: A reporting party stated she could not find her vehicle in Lot 11 on Stadium Drive. The reporting party let a friend borrow the vehicle and the reporting party called her friend to find out where they parked the vehicle. The reporting party found her vehicle in Lot 22.

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Traffic Stop

1:14 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to use care while driving on Lincoln Avenue.

1:15 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle near the PVTA parking lot on Governors Drive for driving over the speed limit.

1:32 a.m.: A 19-year-old male from Stoughton, Mass. was arrested on Fearing Street for driving under the influence. The man took a portable breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol content of .084. Bail was set at personal recognizance plus a fee and the male was bailed out for court on Monday morning. Ernie’s Towing was called and impounded the person’s vehicle.

2:25 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with a rejected inspection sticker on University Drive.

2:52 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle on University Drive was issued a verbal warning for defective headlights.

7:28 p.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Thatcher Road for driving with an expired registration.

11:18 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle at the horseshoe in Southwest for failing to stop.

11:26 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Fearing Street for failing to stop.

Assist Citizen

3:23 a.m.: An Uber driver called APD worried about two males and a female in an unknown vehicle outside of the Totman Physical Education Building on Eastman Lane who said they were going to spend the night in the parking lot. The driver was concerned because of their demeanor when interacting with them. Parties checked out okay and will be leaving with the vehicle in the morning.

1:15 p.m.: A reporting party stated her husband had wandered off from the Campus Center on Campus Center Way. She said he’s almost six feet tall, has gray, receding hair, wears glasses and was wearing a light blue Columbia jacket with dark green corduroys. APD and UMass Transit were notified. The subject was reunited with his family. APD and UMass Transit were updated.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

3:37 a.m.: An audible alarm sounding on the third floor of Kennedy Hall in Southwest Residential Area was unable to be found. A resident reported to a cadet that the alarm had cleared prior to police’ arrival.

Larceny

9:49 a.m.: A reporting party stated someone outside of Chadbourne Hall on E. Pleasant Street charged $50 worth of pizza to her account.

Accident – Leaving the Scene

10:49 a.m.: A reporting party states someone struck his vehicle outside of the North Village Apartments on North Pleasant Street and left the area.

Parking Complaint

3:06 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was no residential life parking spots available outside of Wheeler Hall on Infirmary Way. The vehicle left and no police service was necessary.

6:32 p.m.: Ernie’ Towing was contacted and towed a vehicle that was parked in the fire lane between Marcus Hall and the Lederle Graduate Research Tower. The owner could not be contacted at the time.

Lost/Found Property

3:14 p.m.: An iPhone was turned in after remaining in Dickinson Hall in the Orchard Hill Residential Area for three days. Residential desk staff reported a party found the phone walking up the hill near Brett Hall. There was no case on the phone and it was smashed, but taped back together. The phone still works, but the battery was dead.

Traffic Enforcement

4:42 p.m.: Two operators of separate vehicles were issued verbal warnings for inspections on University Drive and Stadium Access Road.

Assist Agency

6:23 p.m.: An officer was approached by someone who was concerned about an intoxicated male inside a red vehicle outside of Amherst House of Pizza. The Amherst Fire Department was notified and the officer requested an ambulance. AFD then took over.

Alarm-Elevator

8:37 p.m.: One person was stuck in an elevator on the basement floor in Moore Dorm in Southwest Residential Area. Facilities and the Amherst Fire Department were notified. The person was freed and the elevator was placed out of service.

11:10 p.m.: One party was trapped in an elevator in McKimmie Hall on Sunset Avenue due to a mechanical issue. The Amherst Fire Department, facilities and housing was notified. Facilities and maintenance advised no police assistance was needed. The party was out of the elevator at 2:09 a.m. on Monday morning.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.