UMPD Logs: Friday, Sept. 13 – Sunday, Sept. 15

Several arrests were made this weekend

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Sept. 13, 2019 to Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019.

Friday, Sept. 6, 2019

Traffic Stop

12:33 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Lincoln Avenue.

4:05 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation on Commonwealth Avenue.

5:23 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic citation on Massachusetts Avenue for operating with an expired license. The operator attempted to renew online. An Ernie’s tow truck towed the vehicle and the officer at the scene transported the operator to Baker Dorm.

5:30 p.m.: Two parties were arrested after being stopped on University Drive. A 19-year-old male was arrested for possessing and procuring liquor under the age of 21 and another 19-year old male was arrested for possessing liquor under the age of 21. An Ernie’s tow truck was called to tow the vehicle.

5:49 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Massachusetts Avenue. The Hadley Police Department seized alcohol that was found in the car.

6:38 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield in Lot 22A (west of University Drive).

6:51 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a summons on Russell Street in Hadley. A false Maine license was seized.

7:24 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding greater than the posted speed limit on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

7:29 p.m.: A vehicle was stopped at Amherst College. Amherst Police Department was notified. HPD seized 12 30 packs of alcohol.

7:51 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a vehicle without a motor vehicle license in Lot 50F on John Adams Road.

8:00 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation on Commonwealth Avenue.

9:30 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield on the intersection of University Drive and Fearing Street.

9:39 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

9:51 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a vehicle with an expired registration. The operator attempted renewing roadside. The operator was advised to not drive the vehicle until the registration is taken care of. The vehicle will be parked in Lot 21 on University Drive until then.

11:33 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with no headlights on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Presidents Drive.

Traffic Enforcement

5:33 a.m.: The operator a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue.

4:11 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a written traffic warning on University Drive.

Assist Other PD’s 

1:31 p.m.: UMPD assisted Amherst Fire Department with a motor vehicle accident at Cumberland Farm Plaza on North Leverett Road in Amherst.

Accident-Property Damage

4:31 p.m.: A reporting party stated a two-vehicle accident occurred on Clark Hill road near Infirmary Way. No injuries were reported and no airbag was deployed. An Ernie’s tow truck towed both vehicles.

Health/Safety Hazard

4:34 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a group of males that were jumping on the wall in Lot 50E on John Adams Road. The group of males was the Parkour Club. All involved had signed waivers and had permission to do the activity.

Assist Agency

6:51 p.m.: A residential director stated that a student was afraid to enter his room because he was continuously being harassed by his roommate and his friends. The student stated he would like to gather some belongings so he could relocate for the night. Police presence was requested.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

6:56 p.m.: An accidental or effective alarm was reported in Patterson Dorm on Sunset Avenue. Firetruck 1 was called and techicians were notified.

11:13 p.m.: An alarm was reported bouncing at the Football Performance Center on Stadium Drive. Firetruck 1 was notified.

Assist Citizen

7:46 p.m.: A party requested assistance reuniting with a friend that is in the wrong location. The party’s friend could not be located.

Alarm-Elevator

8:03 p.m.: One person was reported stuck in elevator No. 4 in John Adams Dorm on Fearing Street. AFD and Firetruck 1 were sent out. The party was freed.

Liquor Law Violations 

8:38 p.m.: Two parties were found with alcohol in Lot 21 on University Drive. The alcohol was disposed of, and the parties were sent on their way.

9:02 p.m.: Alcohol was seized for destruction in Lot 22A on University Drive.

10:15 p.m.: A juvenile party was found in Lot 34 East possessing alcohol. A small amount of alcohol was dumped and the party waited with the officer until her mother came to pick her up.

Lost/Found Property 

9:50 a.m.: Residential Life Staff turned in a Massachusetts Driver’s License found on the Southwest Concourse to the police station.

8:44 p.m.: A reporting party stated keys, AirPods and birth control was found at the service desk of Crabtree Dorm on Eastman Lane.

Suspicious Vehicle

9:44 p.m.: A suspicious vehicle was located in Lot 34 West on Massachusetts Avenue. A 19-year-old male from Worcester, Mass. was arrested for the possession of liquor under the age of 21.

Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:01 a.m.: The Physical Plant stated there was a male party in Stockbridge Hall on Campus Center Way. The party was reported to have run into room 40 and may have climbed out of a window when approached by a maintainer. The party was gone when police arrived.

12:52 a.m.: APD noticed several individuals climbing signs and jumping off of them at the Furcolo School of Education on North Pleasant Street. The parties ran from the area. APD wanted to make sure there is no damage. An officer was with the parties in question. No damage was found.

5:55 p.m.: A reporting party who worked at the service desk at the CHC stated a party came to her and stated there was a male party on the roof of Bartlett Hall on Hicks Way. It was unknown if the party was still there. The officer was unable to secure the roof office door. The Physical Plant was notified.

10:42 p.m.: Two juvenile males were investigated near Massachusetts Avenue and Sunset Avenue before being sent on their way.

11:18 p.m.: An officer states a party near Lot 32 W was advised to use a restroom.

11:52 p.m.: A party “checked ok” outside of the Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

Intoxicated Person

12:16 a.m.: An officer was with one intoxicated party by the Newman Center on Massachusetts Avenue. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

12:31 a.m.: A reporting party stated an intoxicated female party was conscious and semi-alert outside Moore Dorm on Southwest Circle. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

1:08 a.m.: An officer was out with an intoxicated party at the bus stop by the John W. Olver Design Building on North Pleasant Street. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

2:16 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was reported on the 9th floor of Kennedy Dorm on Massachusetts Avenue. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

2:52 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was reported at Crampton Dorm on Sunset Avenue. The party was found unconscious by a resident. The party later went to the bathroom conscious, not very alert and vomiting. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

10:52 p.m.: An intoxicated person was taken into protective custody.

10:52 p.m.: An intoxicated was taken to the hospital.

11:32 p.m.: A female was conscious, but not very alert in the lobby of Kennedy in Southwest. She did not meet the protective custody criteria and was waiting for a friend to sign her in.

Traffic Stop 

12:46 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation by the Integrative Learning Center on North Pleasant Street. APD was notified.

12:54 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding by Lot 33 on University Drive.

1:01 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Stadium Drive.

1:04 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and North Pleasant Street.

1:04 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding by the overpass at lower Massachusetts Avenue.

2:08 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective tail light at Southwest Circle.

2:16 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a written traffic warning for operating a vehicle with no headlights and just one front fog light. An Ernie’s tow truck was called to the scene.

2:43 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

3:55 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for obstructing the flow of traffic on Hicks Way.

8:21 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Thatcher Road for making an improper turn.

8:30 p.m.: A summons for arrest was issued to a minor in possession at the Wendy’s on Russell Street in Hadley. The Hadley Police Department were notified.

8:34 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on North Pleasant Street near the Integrative Learning Center for operating without headlights. The Amherst Police Department were notified.

9:39 p.m.: The vehicle on North Pleasant Street was stopped and the officer searched for weapons. During the search, an open bag of marijuana was found as well as three THC distillate vials. The 18-year-old operator’s Class D license was seized for destruction.

Liquor Law Violations

12:09 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and North Pleasant Street.

12:16 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene in Lot 32 E on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:47 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue.

5:47 p.m.: Alcohol was seized for destruction in Lot 44 (north of Sylvan Dorms) on Sylvan Drive.

10:01 p.m.: Alcohol was seized for destruction near the Lot 32 E on Massachusetts Avenue.

10:55 p.m.: A 19-year-old man from Groton, Massachusetts was arrested near Lot 32 W (south of Massachusetts Avenue) for possessing liquor underage. Bail was set and the man was released. Court was set for Monday at 8:30 a.m.

10:45 p.m.: Parties were found urinating at the south end of Lot 32 E (south of Massachusetts Avenue) and were advised to find a restroom in the future. An officer also states a small amount of alcohol was dumped and the party was sent on their way.

11:30 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped outside of Kennedy Hall in the Southwest Residential Area.

Suspicious Vehicle

2:00 a.m.: A suspicious vehicle was seen at Lot 33A on University Drive. The vehicle was checked ok.

Lost/Found Property

2:10 a.m.: A maintainer dropped off property at the station that was found at the Bezanson Recital Hall at the Fine Arts Center on Presidents Drive. A Samsung cell phone and a credit card were placed in evidence.

2:30 a.m.: Property was found on Sunset Avenue and was brought to the police station.

3:30 a.m.: Property was found on Fearing Street and was brought to the police station.

5:59 a.m.: Custodial Staff at the Life Science Lab on Thatcher Road turned in a key that was found in the LSL auditorium. The key was possibly a dorm key on a key ring. The key was entered into property and held for safekeeping.

9:45 a.m.: A reporting party stated that he found a wallet outside Building C at the North Residential Area on Eastman Lane. The wallet was brought to the station.

Traffic Enforcement

5:53 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue. The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue.

Assist Citizen

9:31 a.m.: Services were rendered for a lost motorist on Hicks Way.

Alarm- Fire; Supervisory

10:31 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm was reported at Elm House at the CHC on Commonwealth Avenue. Firetruck 1 was on scene. The alarm was referred to techs.

Assault and Battery

10:40 a.m.: A reporting party stated he was assaulted outside Patterson Dorm on Sunset Avenue while delivering for Insomnia Cookies. The reporting party stated he was punched in the face. The call was in Amherst jurisdiction so APD will be coming to UMPD to take the report.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

10:52 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at North Residential Building C on Eastman Lane. The building was not in trouble when Firetruck 1 arrived.

6:47 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm was set off at Lederle Graduate Research Center on North Pleasant Street. Firetruck 1 was notified and the alarm was cleared.

4:37 p.m.: A caller reported an audible alarm stating it says “supervisory” on the panel. Firetruck 1 arrived on scene and referred to techs.

Alarm-Fire

11:26 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Maple House at the CHC on Commonwealth Avenue. AFD and Environmental Health and Safety was notified. The alarm was set off by bacon grease.

Parking Complaint

11:42 a.m.: A residence director stated he did not have a parking spot in Lot 50G on Washington Road. The residence director called back and stated someone moved.

Health/Safety Hazard 

5:00 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a broken window on the exterior of Prince Dorm on Sunset Avenue near the main lobby. The reporting party also stated there was blood in the area. Firetruck 1 was advised. A resident assistant states a co-worker is in the basement with a male party believed to be involved. An officer on the scene states there was a party wearing a red suit jacket and white pants with blood on them. AFD was requested and was en route. Two officers were with the party in room 219. The party had a hand laceration. The party was talking in circles and was surprised it was daylight. The party was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital via AFD.

Accident – Leaving the Scene

9:57 p.m.: The reporting party states he witnessed a hit and run in Lot 50 G near Washington Hall in the Southwest Residential Area. He states a grey Nissan backed into a vehicle then headed down Fearing Street to University Drive. An incident reported was completed.

Alarm- (Prefire) 

2:44 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at the Campus Center on Campus Center Way. EHS was notified. Firetruck 1 reset the alarm.

5:48 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Brett Dorm on Infirmary Way. Firetruck 1 went on scene and reset the alarm.

10:07 p.m.: Smoke from cooking triggered the alarm to sound at McNamara Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area. F1 was notified and the alarm was clear.

Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:01 a.m.: The PVTA reports a driver spotted a college-aged male, possibly unconscious, was laying on the sidewalk outside of the Lederle Graduate Research Center on North Pleasant Street with a group standing around the party. The AFD was out with the party and there were no other signs of any other persons laying down.

12:15 am.: A party was issued a summons for arrest near Lot 32 E.

12:33 a.m.: A party on Presidents Drive appeared to be ill. When police approached him, the man fled the area on foot.

1:51 a.m.: A party near North Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue was investigated before being sent on his way.

8:59 p.m.: An resident assistant at McNamara Dorm on Eastman Lane stated two parties believed their suitemate has been entering their rooms when the parties were away. The party has been going through their things but nothing had been taken at the time. The reporting party believed this last happened this morning but has been going on throughout the semester. An incident report was completed.

Liquor Law Violations

12:04 a.m.: A 18-year-old man was arrested outside of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive for being under age and possessing liquor. The man from North Reading, Mass. was released on bail and his court date was set for Monday at 8:30 a.m.

12:11 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on the scene on Massachusetts Avenue.

Intoxicated Person

12:09 a.m.: A semi-conscious party was found vomiting outside of Cashin Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area. AFD arrived on the scene and the party was removed to the hospital.

12:43 a.m.: An ambulance was sent for a male, who was not very alert, who was vomiting and appeared to have a head injury. He was transported from Emerson Hall to the hospital.

2:20 a.m.: A reporting party stated a college-aged female was intoxicated was not feeling well. She was laying down and screaming loudly in Kennedy Dorm. She said she had four shots of tequila at a fraternity earlier in the evening and was vomiting prior to the officer’s arrival. The party did not meet the protective custody criteria.

2:33 a.m.: A reporting party called in an intoxicated male party that was conscious, semi-alert and vomiting at Emerson Dorm on Southwest Circle. The male party did not meet protective custody criteria.

Assist Citizen

12:11 a.m.: A party threw keys into a tree near Lot 32 E on Massachusetts Avenue and the Physical Plant was contacted to ask for a ladder. The Physical Plants stated they were en route to assist with a ladder to retrieve the keys.

1:42 a.m.: A reporting party called from the help phone near Garber Field and stated she did not feel safe to walk back to her dorm, McNamara Hall. An officer checked the area before escorting the party.

7:00 p.m.: A reporting party stated that she was redirected to a scary website on YouTube after clicking on a link on a popular band’s website that she is familiar with. This is the second time that she has seen the person in videos popping up on her accounts and she would like to speak to someone. The reporting party was calling from Hadley and will be coming to the station to speak with an officer. An incident report was completed.

11:37 p.m.: A female party at Lot 11 on Stadium Drive stated that she does not feel safe to walk from her car in Lot 11 to her dorm in Melville. The party was advised to have her four-way flashers on.

911 Hang-Up Call

12:28 a.m.: The emergency phone near Lot 71 was in use, but no one answered. Voices were heard in the background.

2:07 a.m.: Nothing was heard when the help phone near the Orchard Hill Walkway was activated, but no one was in the area.

Traffic Stop

1:16 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Eastman Lane was issued a verbal warning for speed.

1:27 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without lights on Massachusetts Avenue.

2:38 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an overloaded vehicle at the intersection of North Pleasant Street and Phillips Street.

2:52 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a written traffic warning for travelling the wrong way on Sylvan Circle.

2:54 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Thatcher Road.

3:10 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle had their hazards on while blocking a crosswalk on University Drive. The operator was issued a verbal warning for no inspection sticker.

3:26 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Massachusetts Avenue.

4:49 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective break light on Massachusetts Avenue.

5:09 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation on University Drive.

5:55 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on North Service Road.

7:30 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

9:28 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight on Commonwealth Avenue.

9:53 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a registration decal on Massachusetts Avenue.

Lost/Found Property

2:07 a.m.: A black purse was found outside of John Quincy Adams Hall and was turned in to a cadet at JQA. The purse was logged into property.

2:28 a.m.: A driver’s license was found at Kennedy Dorm on Massachusetts Avenue. The license was run and no information was returned. The license could then be destroyed.

Health/Safety Hazard

2:48 a.m.: An officer stated there was a call box that had been removed from its location at Lot 72 by University Health Services and the LSL on Infirmary Way. The Physical Plant was advised. The Physical Plant stated they have the box.

Alarm- (Prefire) 

8:55 a.m.: An alarm went off at the Campus Center on Campus Center Way. Firetruck 1 stated the alarm was a ghost alarm and nothing was showing on the panel at the Campus Center.

7:17 a.m.: An accidental/defective alarm went off at Prince Dorm on Sunset Avenue. Firetruck 1 was advised and was unable to reset the alarm. The cause of the alarm was a dirty smoke detector in the basement stairwell. The alarm was referred to techs.

Alarm-Fire

11:28 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Maple House at the CHC on Commonwealth Avenue. EHS and AFD were notified. Firetruck 1 stated the alarm was due to two smoke detectors activated in room 401 due to cooking

8:55 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at the Campus Center on Campus Center Way. AFD and Firetruck 1 was contacted. Firetruck 1 stated nothing was showing at the time. The alarm was reset in dispatch. AFD came to the scene and an officer stated all units were clear and nothing was showing.

Accident Property Damage

1:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated she struck the stop sign at the intersection of Clark Hill Road and East Pleasant Street. The driver was unaware of where Clark Hill Road was as she was travelling on East Pleasant Street. When she realized the turn was coming up, she thought she could make the turn, but went wide, striking the stop sign knocking it down. No negligence on her part. The stop sign just needed to be put back in place.

Annoying Behavior

1:25 p.m.: A roommate issue was reported at the police station. The issue was referred to housing.

Larceny

2:13 p.m.: There was a CopLogic Report of a key to the Hospitality/Tourism Management Conference Room at the Isenberg School of Management on Presidents Drive that was presumed stolen from an unlocked desk drawer. An incident report was completed.

Parking Complaint

7:37 p.m.: Two vehicles illegally parked in Lot 50 (east of John Quincy Adams Dorm) moved along.

Suspicious Vehicle

7:44 p.m.: The car alarm of a vehicle was going off in Lot 22B on University Drive. The vehicle is secured and was checked ok.

Alarm-Elevator

9:14 p.m.: Emergency maintenance advises there were six people on the first floor. AFD and Firetruck 1 were contacted. Emergency maintenance advises parties were out of the elevator at 10:42 p.m.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.