Must-have pieces for your fall wardrobe

From ankle boots to oversized sweaters, fall is here

You lay in bed with the windows open. There’s a chill in the air and a cool gust of wind rushes into your room. The crisp air burns your nose, causing you to snuggle deeper into your blanket, curling your legs into your chest. As you sink deeper into your bed, you inhale the scent of the spice mahogany candle your mother bought you. Bon Iver croons softly in the background. You reach over and take a sip of your pumpkin spiced latte, watching the newest season of American Horror Story. Yes, it’s that time of the year. It’s time to dust off the boots and pull the jackets and scarves out from the back of the closet.

We would be remiss not to talk about one of the most important parts of fall, the fashion: boots, skirts, oversized sweaters, scarves. It’s an exciting time of year for any fashion lover.

Let’s start with the obvious —outerwear. The weather in Amherst is ridiculous; you wake up and it’s 45 degrees outside, but by the end of your last class it feels like 80.  It might be time to invest in a lightweight jacket. There are several options available, including the classic bomber jacket, the durable and versatile denim or trucker jacket, the trendy and cozy Sherpa, and of course, the cool and slick leather jacket. For those days when you have 8 a.m. classes and you aren’t in the mood to get all dressed up and  those lazy, no-makeup days, where you lounge in your sweatpants with your hair tied, invest in some oversized hoodies and sweatshirts. A nice oversized cardigan couldn’t hurt either.

For some appropriate fall tops, look into getting some cable knit sweaters, oversized flannels and the classic turtleneck or mock turtleneck. These tops are an absolute necessity.  Pair your turtleneck with a pair of jeans, some Dr. Martens and a fashionable bomber or leather jacket and you’re ready to go. You can also choose the opposite route and couple them with a pair of slacks and heeled ankle boots for a more put together look.

For those who value comfort over style and don’t really care about what they look like because they are just trying to make it through the week, we have you covered. For you, we recommend some cozy sweatpants and leggings. You can never go wrong with a nice pair of black leggings — they go with everything. Remember, you deserve to be comfortable, so wear your sweatpants and messy bun with pride.

Now, let’s discuss one of the most popular fall pieces: boots. Everyone needs a nice pair of boots for fall. A staple black Chelsea boot is a must. These sleek boots are a great way to dress up or dress down any outfit. For those days when you really want to look your best, a pair of black, over-the-knee boots with a nice skirt and oversized knitted sweater is the way to go. Aside from the boots mentioned, I would be doing a great disservice to you if I didn’t tell you to also invest in some rain boots. One thing I can tell you about Amherst is that it rains, a lot.  A sturdy pair of rain boots is a must while living in this town.

We can’t forget the accessories. Get an oversized scarf for those windy mornings walking by the W. E. B. Du Bois Library. You’ll also need some fluffy socks to wear with your moccasins and keep your feet nice and toasty.  Sunglasses are also a must, not only to appear cool, but also to protect your eyes on those really bright fall mornings.

Some people say Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, but I’d say those people have never experienced a New England fall. Get spooky and comfortable this fall season. Drink some apple cider, eat some pumpkin pie and binge watch Netflix’s horror movie selection. This fall when you’re getting dressed and you’re conflicted about what to wear, think what would Carrie Bradshaw say? Would Rihanna approve? Can you picture Winona Ryder wearing that? And would Blair Waldorf die if she caught you wearing that? But most importantly, ask do I feel comfortable in this? Because at the end of the day, this is your world and everyone else is just living in it. Happy fall everyone!

Kimoyia Walters can be reached at [email protected].