UMPD Logs: Friday, Nov. 29 – Sunday, Dec. 1

Several fire alarms were activated

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Nov. 29, 2019 to Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019.

Friday, Nov 29, 2019

Traffic Enforcement

4:05 a.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted by the west gate on Massachusetts Avenue.

11:49 a.m.: Traffic Enforcement was conducted on University Drive.

Alarm-Fire

7:43 a.m.: Fire Engine 1 and Amherst Fire Department were notified of an accidental or defective alarm at the Integrative Learning Center on North Pleasant Street. The alarm was due to a water leak.

Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019

Traffic Enforcement

3:43 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on Commonwealth Avenue.

4:27 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on Governors Drive.

7:25 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop-sign violation on University Drive.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

4:26 p.m.: F1 reset an accidental or defective fire alarm that went off at W.E.B. Du Bois Library on Hicks Way.

Assist Agency

5:53 p.m.: Fire Engine 2 and two emergency medical technicians were present for the UMass hockey game vs. Quinnipiac University at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

Assist Citizen

9:16 p.m.: A reporting party stated she believed she had encountered a party that had previously hacked her computer. The reporting party stated she encountered this party in Hampshire Dining Commons at around 8 p.m. She had previously reported the hack.

Accident-Property Damage 

9:27 p.m.: A two-car motor vehicle accident occurred in front of the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

Assist Other Police Departments

11:36 p.m.: An assistant residence director stated parties had set a fire outside of the Presidential Apartment Buildings in Amherst. AFD was advised. An officer advised that Amherst Police Department went past the building. APD was advised.

Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019

Traffic Enforcement

12:07 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

2:31 a.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on Commonwealth Avenue.

Traffic Stop

3:13 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was stopped in Lot 27 (south of Lot 44) on Sylvan Drive for operating a vehicle with an expired or non-registered vehicle and a suspended license. The operator was given a courtesy transport and was issued a summons. An Ernie’s Towing tow truck came to the scene to tow the vehicle.

7:50 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Sunset Avenue.

Alarm-Fire Trouble 

9:15 a.m.: Emergency Health Services and technicians were notified of an accidental or defective alarm at the Central Heating Plant on Mullins Way.

9:15 a.m.: EHS was notified of an accidental or defective alarm that went off at the combined heat and power battery storage trailer on Mullins Way. Someone from the fire alarm shop came in to fix the issue.

9:23 a.m.: EHS was notified of an accidental or defective alarm at the Lederle Graduate Research Center tower on North Pleasant Street. The alarm was cleared, and the reason for the alarm going off is unknown.

2:58 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective alarm that went off at the practice rink of the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue. F1 stated it was due to a dirty smoke detector.

Accident-Leaving the Scene

1:25 p.m.: A reporting party stated someone scratched the rear driver’s side of her vehicle and advised that she witnessed a vehicle hit her vehicle. Contact was made with the owner of the offending vehicle, who admitted to hitting the reporting party’s vehicle.

911 Hang-up Call

3:33 p.m.: A help phone was activated on Massachusetts Avenue. Voices were heard in the background. An officer checked the area and advised the phone was activated by accident.

Assist Citizen

4:56 p.m.: A reporting party stated that his Mercedes-Benz vehicle with rear-wheel drive was unable to make it up the hill on Fearing Street outside Pierpont Hall. The Physical Plant was advised to let the road crews know. Three vehicles were unable to make it up the hill. The vehicles were able to be turned around. The Physical Plant advised the road conditions were getting much worse.

9:47 p.m.: A reporting party stated he locked his keys inside of his car, which was on the roadway of Fearing Street. Ernie’s Towing was contacted and unlocked the vehicle.

10:06 p.m.: An officer assisted with a flashlight in finding a dropped phone at Emerson Hall on Southwest Circle.

Alarm-Elevator

6:07 p.m.: Elevator number five of Coolidge Hall was stuck on the ground floor. One person was in the elevator with a service dog. No one was in need of medical attention. F1, AFD and Residential Life was notified. The doors opened and the party was able to exit the elevator. The elevator was locked until technicians could look at it.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

6:42 p.m.: Hadley Police Department reporting a damaged motor vehicle with a possible flat tire on the intersection of Governors Drive and Cold Storage Road. Ernie’s Towing was requested for a tire change. The party refused assistance from Ernie’s, and the vehicle was moved to lot 25.

9:20 p.m.: A UMass vehicle was stuck on Campus Center Way. An officer was able to move the vehicle and drove it to the top of Campus Center Way.

Alarm-(Prefire)

9:28 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective pre-alarm that went off at Washington Hall on Fearing Street. The reason for the alarm activation is unknown. F1 reset the alarm.

Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.