Sources: Three to five more players set to join Tre Mitchell in the transfer portal

More transfers to follow Mitchell decision
Megan+Lee%2FVCU
Megan Lee/VCU

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Editor’s note: Changes were made on March 20 to reflect the latest information

In the wake of Tre Mitchell’s decision to enter his name in the transfer portal, the Collegian has been informed by multiple sources with knowledge of the situation that at least three more players on the Massachusetts men’s basketball team are likely to announce their decision to enter their names in the portal.

Ronnie DeGray III, Javohn Garcia, Cairo McCrory, Dyondre Dominguez and Kolton Mitchell were named as players that have a chance of joining T. Mitchell and in the transfer portal.

Sources tell the Collegian that “one or two” of those five aforementioned names could still make the decision to stay at UMass.

Senior Carl Pierre has also added his name to the transfer portal. Pierre was a two-year captain for UMass and will look to play elsewhere after four years with the Minutemen.

Per the Boston Globe, it has also been reported that Minutemen assistant coach Tony Bergeron’s contract has been bought out. Bergeron is a former head coach of Woodstock Academy, the prep school in which eight players from the 2020-21 roster had attended before their time in college.

With Mark Gasperini graduating the only players that appear set on staying with the program are Noah Fernandes, TJ Weeks, Dibaji Walker and Preston Santos, who announced his return to the program via Twitter Friday night.

If all five players were to leave, Minutemen head coach Matt McCall would be left with three scholarship athletes heading into the 2021 recruiting offseason period, losing four of their five starters to graduation and the transfer portal.

Sources were kept anonymous to protect their identity.

The team declined to comment about the matter.

Matt Vautour of MassLive has reported that T. Mitchell’s decision hasn’t changed UMass’ plans for McCall to remain as head coach through the 2021-22 season.

Joey Aliberti can be reached at [email protected]. He can be followed on Twitter @JosephAliberti1.