Starting fall 2022, Isenberg will not allow internal transfers

Those not directly admitted into Isenberg will not be able to transfer in

Starting in fall 2022, the University of Massachusetts Amherst will not allow students to internally transfer to the Isenberg School of Management who were not directly accepted into the program, said the Deputy Director of News & Media Relations Mary Dettloff in an email.

Enrollment for the Fall 2021 was 4,171 students compared to the Fall 2018 enrollment of 3,494 students.

“Enrollment of 4,171 exceeds the target of 3,750 majors set by Isenberg officials and the central university administration considering the school’s resources,” Dettloff wrote.

The excess of enrollment has “challenged” Isenberg with instructional space and faculty and staff resources. This scarcity of resources is what led the University to “prohibit internal transfers,” Dettloff said.

Students entering in the Fall 2022, even if not directly admitted to Isenberg, can pursue a minor. Detloff also suggests applying to majors provided in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences such as: economics, resource economics and managerial economics.

Dettloff wrote, “These majors can take several Isenberg classes and prepare themselves for careers in numerous areas of business by pursuing these areas of study.”

Those students who enrolled in UMass Fall 2021 or earlier can still transfer internally, “but the process will remain incredibly competitive.”

“Because the process is so competitive, Isenberg feels that it is fairer to discontinue the internal transfer process so students not directly admitted to Isenberg have no expectations of being able to become an Isenberg major when making decisions about which college to attend,” Dettloff wrote.

Students who want to can stay for a master’s degree. There are also +1 degrees which offer master’s degrees in business analytics, accounting or finance which can be completed in a year. Isenberg is also currently in the process of starting an accelerated master’s degree which students can start at the undergraduate level.

Sofi Shlepakov can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @SShlepakov.