APD make arrest in serious assault case

The Amherst Police Department announced Saturday that they had made an arrest in a Sept. 12 case where a Worcester man was beaten with a baseball bat.

According to an Oct. 23 release from the Amherst Detective Bureau, the APD determined that 20-year-old Erik Reyes of 40 Gibson Street in Medford, Mass., was responsible for the incident, which took place at a party on Grantwood Drive, near the University of Massachusetts campus. Reyes was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and will be arraigned today at Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown. Neither the unidentified victim nor Reyes are members of the Five College community.

In other police-related news, the APD responded Friday to an incident involving a University of Massachusetts student. At approximately 2:34 a.m., officers were dispatched to an apartment at the Chestnut Court complex, where an 84-year-old woman reported that someone had attempted to force their way into her apartment.

Following a brief investigation, the officers located a male matching the woman’s description not far away. The man, Benjamin J. Cambell, 21, of Marshfield, Mass., was apparently disoriented, and officers suspected he had been drinking. He was arrested and charged with breaking and entering in the nighttime, and was arraigned Friday morning, also at Eastern Hampshire District Court.

-Collegian News Staff