UMass Softball Complex to be renamed after longtime coach Elaine Sortino

Jeff Bernstein/Daily Collegian File Photo

Elaine Sortino has put together a legendary career in her time in Amherst, racking up win after win and championship after championship as she’s built the Massachusetts softball program into a perennial powerhouse.

This Saturday, the longtime coach will add on to her long list of accomplishments when her name will become a permanent fixture of UMass softball.

UMass announced on Tuesday that the UMass Softball Complex, which opened in 2000, will officially be renamed Sortino Field at a special ceremony set to take place prior to the team’s annual Alumni Game at 11 a.m.

“It’s an honor and privilege for us to be able to recognize everything Elaine has meant, not only to the softball program but the University and Amherst community,” UMass Athletic Director John McCutcheon said in the release.

“This is a fitting way to recognize her many accomplishments and to provide our fans and supporters the opportunity to help us continue this tradition and fully Elaine’s vision for the facility.”

Sortino is entering her 34th season at UMass, where she has put together a 1,167-438-6 (.705) record, and led the Minutewomen to 23 Atlantic 10 championships, 21 NCAA tournament appearances and three trips to the Women’s College World Series. She is the fourth-winningest active coach in Division I and was inducted into the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Hall of Fame in 2004.

Sortino has also been the brains behind raising money for UMass’ current softball facility. According to the release, she has raised more than $350,000 already, and an additional $500,000 is planned to be raised for the future of the stadium.

In the course of her career, Sortino has also coached one Honda Award winner, given to the nation’s best female athlete, one Olympic gold medalist, 20 All-Americans and 15 A-10 Players of the Year.

More than 70 former players, managers and coaches are expected to be in attendance for Saturday’s dedication, according to the release, including members of the 1992 team that reached the WCWS for the 20th anniversary.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.