Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

UMass goalie Sam Carlino reflects on her time with U-21 U.S. national team

Sam Carlino, the starting goalkeeper for the Massachusetts field hockey team, was sitting in her dorm room one night when she heard a knock on her door.

When she opened it, fellow Minutewoman Hannah Prince came in screaming.

“We made it, we made it!” Prince shouted.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Carlino immediately knew what she was talking about. They had been selected to compete for the Under-21 United States national team in the Junior World Cup in Monchengladbach, Germany, this summer.

“All I could think about was how awesome it would be to represent the United States and what a great opportunity this would be,” Carlino said.

Carlino was one of just two goalies in the nation to be selected despite having just one year of collegiate experience under her belt. She made the most of that one year, however, starting 23 out of 24 games as a freshman for the Minutewomen last season and sporting a 14-9 record with a 1.65 goals against average and a .725 save percentage.

She earned second team All-Conference honors and led UMass to the Atlantic 10 championship.

No moment stood out to Carlino more in her time in Germany than to hear the national anthem play before the first game.

“Besides being with Hannah, the first time I heard our national anthem being played was probably one of my favorite moments while I was there,” Carlino said. “That’s when it made me realize how awesome it was to represent the USA at a major competition like this one.”

The only part that could possibly compare was being able to share this once-in-a-lifetime experience with two of her teammates – incoming freshman Charlotte Verelst competed for the Belgian national team. Carlino couldn’t have been more grateful.

“To share this with Hannah was just an unbelievable experience,” Carlino said. “We became really good friends this past year since I played goalie and she played defense, so being able to spend time with her while representing our home country was something I’ll never forget.”

Despite seeing action in just two games and the USA finishing seventh in the tournament overall, Carlino feels she has gained something that no other goalie in the A-10 will have: experience against the top competition in the world..

“I definitely gained very valuable experience on the international level,” Carlino said. “The game is just so much faster and more competitive, and everyone there is incredibly talented. Just to learn from my coaches and other teammates about the game as a whole will definitely help me in the future and hopefully elevate my game to the next level.”

Now that this tournament is in the books, Carlino now turns her attention back to her team in Amherst, with her eyes set on a repeat as A-10 champs.

“I cannot wait for this season to finally begin,” Carlino said. “I think everyone is very anxious to get started, and we are all working very hard right now during the preseason. We are trying to come together as a team and we’re ready to get back out there and try and make another run at the A-10 title.”

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.