Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass field hockey benefitting from tough non-conference schedule

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

The Massachusetts field hockey team has made a habit of overcoming ranked opponents in recent years.

UMass knocked off six teams ranked in the Top 25 last season on its way to the NCAA Tournament and have already beaten two ranked opponents just five games into 2013.

The seventh-ranked Minutewomen (5-0) will have a shot at win No. 3 over ranked teams when they take on No. 6 Syracuse – a team they played twice last season, winning one at home and losing the other in the Tournament – on Friday at 3 p.m.

Why so many nationally-ranked opponents?

According to UMass coach Carla Tagliente, it’s a perfect measuring stick for her team early in the season.

“It’s good because it gives us the chance to play against some of the best teams in the country and allows us to measure where we are at and what we’ll need to improve on,” she said.

And with Atlantic 10 play quickly approaching, it’s also a significant confidence booster for a team with its sights set on a repeat as conference champions.

“It’s very helpful because it shows me where some of our strong points are, as well as some of the areas we need to work on,” Tagliente said. “To have the success that we have had early on in the season is very important because it gives us confidence when moving forward.”

UMass started the season ranked No. 14 in the nation, but gathered big wins over Michigan and in-state rival Boston College, who were ranked No. 9 and No. 19, respectively, to propel the Minutewomen into the Top 10 for the first time this season.

While games versus ranked opponents certainly appear to be important contests, Tagliente treats them as any ordinary game..

“It’s just another game for us to go out and win. The rankings give us a reference about how strong our team is compared to others,” Tagliente said. “It doesn’t matter if we are playing the (No. 1) team or the (No. 79) team, it’s an opportunity for us to work on what we need to work on and get better.”

As for this Friday’s battle with Syracuse, Tagliente sees a major test for her team.

“I don’t think we view them as a rival, but it’s a really exciting opportunity to play against a top team and improve on our performances from the last two times we faced them,” Tagliente said.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass field hockey benefitting from tough non-conference schedule”