John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits its time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Penalty corner plays key to UMass offensive attack

The No. 7 Massachusetts field hockey team’s offense looked strong again in its 5-1 win over Hofstra on Sunday, and there was one important aspect that has been a recurring key to the Minutewomen’s play throughout the season: penalty corners.

Robert Rigo/ Collegian

UMass (7-2) scored three of their five goals on penalty corner plays against the Pride (3-6) and 16 of its 26 goals on penalty corners, according to UMassAthletics.com.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said she has been very pleased with the team’s execution on penalty corner plays this season.

“It’s been outstanding,” Tagliente said. “It’s not a stat that’s charted. It’s not charted in the NCAA, but I would venture to guess that ours is pretty much in the top five in the country.”

After Thando Zono and Kim Young, the team’s main hitters on penalty corners last year and two of the team’s leading scorers, graduated, somebody on the team had to step up and become the team’s new main hitter.

Sophomore midfielder Brooke Sabia stepped into that role, and has scored seven of her team-leading 11 goals on penalty corner plays so far this season, including the opening goal of the game against Hofstra.

Sabia said the key to good penalty corner play is having everyone involved execute their roles properly.

“The key to (penalty corners) is definitely having everyone on the right mark, you could say,” Sabia said. “Having the push-outs be good, the traps be good, everything just has to fall into place.”

The Minutewomen have found other players stepping up in other roles on penalty corner plays as well, such as freshman midfielder Charlotte Verelst, who has been a solid inserter and has gotten all four of her assists on penalty corner plays, and senior midfielder Alexa Sikalis, who has been a good stopper and has gotten six of her team-leading seven assists on penalty corner plays this season.

“I think everyone’s kind of stepping into the role and executing the role that they’ve been given, just as I’ve been executing the role as the main hitter,” Sabia said. “It’s just, honestly, teamwork I think.”

However, while the team has done well executing its penalty corner plays, it has struggled in drawing penalty corners in the offensive end. UMass currently ranks 38th in the nation in penalty corners per game (6.56) behind past opponents Boston College, Syracuse, Connecticut and upcoming opponent New Hampshire.

Sabia said in a game like the one against Hofstra, when the Minutewomen outshot their opponents 28-5, they should have drawn more than just the nine penalty corners that they had on Sunday.

“For how long we’ve had it in our offensive end this game, we should be having a lot more corners,” she said. “That’ll come with time, though, and practice.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88