UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass field hockey to host tough A-10 competition over the weekend

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

The No. 12 Massachusetts field hockey team will host two of its toughest Atlantic 10 conference opponents this weekend, including its biggest rival in the league.

On Friday, the Minutewomen will host Richmond at 1 p.m., and on Sunday, the team will host Virginia Commonwealth at noon.

UMass (12-4, 3-0 A-10) has a long history of competing with the Spiders (10-5, 3-0) for dominance in the A-10. The two teams have won every conference championship dating back to 1996, with Richmond claiming seven titles in that period while the Minutewomen won 10, including last year’s title, in which they defeated the Spiders 5-0.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said she doesn’t expect the history between the two teams to affect the game.

“I don’t really think anything in the past is going to weigh on us,” she said. “We know going into it they’re probably the best team in the conference other than ourselves and they’re going to provide us probably the best test and challenge.”

Richmond got off to a rough start this season, losing its first four games, but have won 10 of its last 11 games and currently sit in second place in the A-10 behind the Minutewomen.

The Spiders boast one of the best defenses in the nation, leading the NCAA in goals allowed per game at 0.87.

“They’ve always had a very sound defense, they have a very strong goalkeeper and a pretty tight group in the back,” Tagliente said.

The UMass defense has also been strong as of late. The team is allowing 1.38 goals per game and has not allowed more than one goal in a game through the month of October.

On the other side, the Minutewomen’s offense has caught fire since the start of conference play, averaging nine goals per game through their first three games and rank sixth in the nation in goals per game at 3.81. While the Richmond offense has not been as strong, currently averaging three goals per game, Tagliente believes its offense can still be a threat.

“They can score in streaks, they’re very streaky and they can break a game open quickly,” she said.

In Sunday’s matchup, VCU (8-7, 2-1) comes into the weekend  ranking 36th offensively and 49th defensively. Senior Emilie Soares leads the offense for the Rams with 13 goals and seven assists on the season so far.

VCU currently sits in fourth place in the A-10 behind Lock Haven, which it faces on Friday before traveling to Amherst. After losing their first conference matchup to Richmond by a score of 6-1, the Rams are now on a two-game winning streak heading into the weekend, including a double overtime victory against St. Francis last Sunday.

VCU may not have the same amount of talent or history with UMass as the Spiders, but Tagliente said it’s important that the team give the same amount of effort against the Rams.

“I think Friday we’re going to test Richmond and they’re going to test us, and I think getting back on track and refocusing is going to probably be the biggest challenge for us,” she said.

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88.