UMass football picks up first win of the season in blowout win over Georgia Southern -

Student in critical condition after pedestrian-vehicle accident on Friday -

UMass women’s soccer fails to secure spot in A-10 tournament with loss to Saint Louis -

Struggles with special teams sinks UMass hockey -

UMass hockey drops second of the year in 3-1 loss to Ohio State -

Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

UPDATE: Wayland man dies following apparent fall

(Katherine Mayo / Daily Collegian)

The Northwest District Attorney’s Office released new information surrounding an off-campus death: The incident involved a 20-year-old man from Wayland, Mass., who apparently fell to his death.

According to a press release from the D.A.’s office, on Saturday at approximately 2:30 a.m., the Amherst Fire Department and Amherst Police Department responded to an address on Fearing Street after receiving a 911 call regarding an injured party. First responders then located the Wayland man, who was found unresponsive with obvious injuries to his head.

“Witnesses reported that the man, who had attended a party on North Pleasant Street earlier in the evening, had run off into the yard behind a residence on Fearing Street, where authorities believe he fell from a 10-foot retaining wall, landed in a shallow brook and struck his head. The man was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital, where he was pronounced dead,” the D.A.’s office also stated in the release.

Mary Carey, communications director for the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, told the Daily Collegian Wednesday that the D.A.’s office would not be releasing the name of the deceased as his death was private.

“It appears to be a private death on private property, non-criminal,” Carey told the Daily Collegian Tuesday—the press release also confirmed this previous statement.

The man was not a University of Massachusetts student, the D.A.’s office also confirmed. Rather, he was visiting friends in the area.

UMass had already said that the death was not one of their students, Western Mass News reported Monday; however, UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski also said that although they don’t know the person’s relationship to the school, it is a tragedy.

The Amherst Police Department and the Massachusetts State Police Detectives Unit attached to the D.A.’s office, are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the man’s death, as well as his whereabouts and activities in the hours before his death.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has yet to officially pronounce the cause of death, and toxicology results are still pending, according to the press release. Any further inquiries should be directed to the Office of Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

Will Soltero can be reached at wsoltero@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @WillSoltero. Jackson Cote can be reached at jkcote@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @jackson_k_cote.