UMass softball wins Game 1 of doubleheader, clinches berth in A-10 Tournament

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

In the first game of a doubleheader, a complete-game shutout from pitcher Caroline Raymond led the Massachusetts softball team to a 7-0 win over Rhode Island on Tuesday, clinching a berth in the Atlantic 10 Tournament after a one-year absence from tournament play.

UMass coach Kristi Stefanoni said it wasn’t until after the game that she found out her team had clinched a spot in the A-10 Tournament, which was very emotional for her and the team as it’s their first appearance without late coach Elaine Sortino.

“It means everything to me,” Stefanoni said. “The one person I wish I could share it with unfortunately is not here, and that’s Elaine. We’ve been working all year to do this for her and that was really something at the end of the game to be able to know we clinched a spot in the tournament.

“I’m very proud of this team of where they’ve come from until now. They’ve worked so hard to get this and show everyone that UMass softball is back. It was a big moment for us.”

Raymond struck out two along the way and only gave up six hits in seven innings of work, pushing her record to 9-10 on the year. Stefanoni was proud of the way her team came out and played, especially Raymond and Tiffany Meeks.

“We came out ready to play right away,” she said. “Tiffany (Meeks) was on fire today all the way around, I think she’s had a home run in the last three or four games she’s played in. I thought Caroline did her job and was able to keep the hitters off balance, which allowed our offense to go to work.”

On the offensive side of the ball, Meeks and Bridget Lemire both went yard, with Lemire giving the Minutewomen (14-19, 8-5 A-10) a 4-0 lead when she connected on a solo homer in the fourth inning. Meeks dented all hopes of a Rams (12-31, 5-10 A-10) comeback when she hit a three-run shot to make the score 7-0 in the fifth. Meeks finished with two hits and two runs to go along with her three runs batted in.

Quianna Diaz-Patterson and Ashton Wince also recorded RBIs for the Minutewomen.

Game 2 suspended
            Game 2 of the doubleheader between UMass and URI was suspended due to darkness after nine innings with the score tied 2-2. The Minutewomen received their two runs on a solo home run by Meeks and a Diaz-Patterson triple. She scored on the same play after an overthrow sailed past third base.

A two-run single by the Rams in the sixth inning tied the game at two, followed by three scoreless innings before the game was halted with the score tied.

Both teams will await a ruling from the Atlantic 10 on when the game will be completed.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected].