Find a new and natural skin care alternative as Valentine’s Day approaches

(Pip/Flickr)
(Pip/Flickr)

As the world increases its focus on eco-friendly and all-natural products, skin care brands such as Frank Body and Lush are becoming widely popular internationally. This Valentine’s Day, ditch your old methods and fall in love with this new, healthy approach to skin care.

Both brands are very adamant about providing people with natural, locally made organic ingredients. A large amount of these ingredients are surprisingly found in the grocery store.

Ingredients like garlic, green grapes, honey, lime, corn and seaweed are just some of the ingredients found in Lush moisturizers, cleansers and face masks.

The company prides itself on buying fresh and organic products from places that do not engage in animal testing. On its website, lushusa.com, you will find Lushopedia, an alphabetized, cataloged list of all of its fresh ingredients, fine oils, safe synthetics and exactly why they are all used. The list contains anything from actual sand used in soap to sunflower petal extract in moisturizing cream.

Frank Body also does not commission the use of animal testing for any of its products. Its scrubs are all based with roasted ground robusta coffee beans, featuring coconut, cacao, peppermint and original flavors, all with slightly different benefits. The coconut scrub contains nourishing grape seed and coconut oils for sensitive skin and is nut-free for those who have allergies. The cacao scrub is packed with antioxidants for aging skin and the peppermint scrub is infused with peppermint oil and native mint to sooth tired and achy muscles. These scrubs are used to treat dry skin, stretch marks, cellulite, eczema, psoriasis, acne and scarring.

Both Frank Body and Lush place a larger emphasis on handling their ingredients locally. Frank Body is based out of Australia and uses all local products. Lush was originally started in the United Kingdom, but provides all products to American stores from its manufacturing store in Vancouver, Canada.

Lush is not only concerned with providing the finest ingredients to just its buyers, but also to the communities it interacts with. After starting its Charity Pot program in 2007, Lush has donated more than $5,800,000 to over 600 grassroots charities in over 35 different countries. Not many international companies can claim that much. Also, Lush practices ethical buying and has internal buyers that travel worldwide to personally visit its suppliers so they can research the ingredients, meet the growers and producers and ensure the best care possible for the environment and workers involved.

Frank Body ships internationally online from its website us.frankbody.com whereas Lush can be purchased in stores.  Other renowned organic brands that were recognized in Glamour magazine include RMS Beauty which was developed by Rose-Marie Swift and gives the Victoria’s Secret models their signature glow on the runway. Seventh Generation, another brand mentioned, uses jojoba oil, oat extract and tea tree oil along with many other natural ingredients.

The brand, Balanced Guru, uses sustainable packaging for all of its products, and incorporates fresh berries, cloves and cinnamon into its popular antioxidant masque. Suki products operate in luxury spas around the world. More brands featured include Votre Vu, Juara and 80 Acres.

For those currently in unstable relationships with cleansers and medications that are just unreliable, ineffective and unsatisfying, break up with your skin care system. Whatever new company you choose to love surely will give love back to the community, eco-system and, of course, you.

Erica Garnett can be reached at [email protected].