Students at Amherst College emphasize the importance of diversity in art within community

Attendees were asked to vote on a piece that would best fit the gallery

(Erica Lowenkron/Daily Collegian)

(Erica Lowenkron/Daily Collegian)

By Andrea Hanley, Collegian Correspondent

Citizens of the town of Amherst gathered at the Mead Art Museum at Amherst College on Feb. 13 to hear students discuss works that could potentially become exhibits in the museum’s gallery.

The students featured in the discussion are currently enrolled in the Amherst College course “Collecting 101: Acquiring art of the Mead.”

The pieces up for consideration concerned modern social topics and took into account not only the works themselves but also the artists behind them. After a brief presentation of each piece, attendees were asked to vote on the piece that would best fit the Mead’s Gallery.

Camilo Ortiz, sophomore at Amherst College, presented the works of Emma Amos, an African American artist born in the 1930s with the goal of expressing more than one form of cultural awareness in her pieces.

“The Mead has a lot of very strong collections,” Ortiz said. “When I was observing how Emma would fit within the collection, I found that there really isn’t anyone like Emma Amos…so it became incredibly inherent that there is a very limited amount of contemporary and post political art, specifically, art that revolves around race relations…and I thought that Emma Amos would be the perfect foundation for expanding that part of the collection.”

Davis Brown, a junior, promoted the need for diversity in artists featured in the collection.

“We feel that Amherst as an institution preaches diversity and inclusion and this is successfully reflected in the student population,” Brown said. “However, we feel that the Mead is lacking some female artists of color and think that Diana Al-Hadid, a fantastic contemporary artist from Syria, would be a wonderful stepping stone of filling the need, and, would also satisfy the Mead’s goal to expand its contemporary art program in working to diversify its collection.”

Freshman Matthew Ezersky proceeded to provide background on the artist, as well as highlight physical features characteristic of Al-Hadid’s work.

“I think it would be great to have a work from this time in her career, she’s still young [37], and I think she’ll definitely continue to grow as an artist and become even more prolific than she already is,” Ezersky said.

“What is the true identity of the human race?” said Cosmo Brossy, a junior at Amherst College. “In an incredibly politically divisive time, [artists] Shivangi Ladha and Cedar Kirwin ask this question.”

In the works displayed, both Ladha and Kirwin endorsed acceptance in non-conforming gender expression.

“We think both these pieces would add to the Mead’s collection and are very relevant to classes and issues that the student body here at Amherst and the Five Colleges are interested in,” Brossy said.

Andrea Hanley can be reached at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Students at Amherst College emphasize the importance of diversity in art within community”

1. John aimo on February 14th, 2018 8:09 pm

Amherst college is basically a ‘feeder school’ for the upper class, that means people go there so they can go on to a graduate school or professional degree at an ivy league college. It has per student the highest endowment in the nation and is ranked consistently as the 1st or second liberal arts college.

The reason it does so well is because it has standards and standards means excluding people who can’t meet that standards. Also the college exists for the upper class, it was made by them, it’s not for liberals or ‘diverse’ students.

Diversity= destruction of standards, lowering standards, letting anyone in just merely because of their race, national origin or gender not because of merit.

It’s shameful that Amherst college is going to throw away it’s standards to appease a mob.

2. NITZAKHON on February 15th, 2018 11:40 am

Funny how “difficult conversations” means censoring anyone who isn’t toeing the PC line.

• Students at Amherst College emphasize the importance of diversity in art within community

Die Bruderschaft wird von de Hampshire Große Jury angeklagt

汉普郡(Hampshire)大陪审团起诉兄弟会

Fraternidad acusada por Gran Jurado de Hampshire

Wonder Woman vs. Captain Marvel: la última disputa de Marvel/DC

“La Monja” es una película aterradoramente mala

UMass women’s soccer uses stifling defense to shutout Duquesne 2-0

麻州大学愿意招收所有除穷人以外的学生

Noted activist gives talk on race in Feinberg lecture

Thousands attend this year’s Amherst block party

Fraternity indicted by Hampshire Grand Jury