CAA men’s lacrosse notebook: Hofstra rides early lead in 16-8 thrashing of Drexel

Hofstra moves into second place

By Javier Melo, Collegian Correspondent

The Hofstra men’s lacrosse team dominated Drexel Saturday night en route to a key 16-8 victory. The game was never a close one, as the Pride scored three goals in the first quarter, never giving up the lead to secure the victory.

Hofstra (6-6, 2-2 Colonial Athletic Association) had at least five shots on goal each quarter while Drexel (5-7, 1-3 CAA) didn’t reach three shots on goal until the fourth quarter when the game was already out of reach. The Pride were consistent in their attack, peppering 27 shots on goal while the Dragons only had 15. Hofstra also stayed consistent on defense, converting 16 of 18 clear attempts and coming away with 25 of the 43 possible ground ball opportunities.

It was the first quarter where Drexel fell apart, giving up three unanswered goals, two of which were scored by senior midfielder Alex Moeser who finished the game with three goals and two assists. The Pride also dominated the second quarter, outscoring Drexel 4-1, which included two goals from senior midfielder Dylan Alderman who finished the game with two goals and two assists.

The two teams were playing for the HEADstrong Foundation’s Hero Bowl, which will be won by a different team for the fifth consecutive season.

The win snapped the Pride’s two-game losing skid, which featured back-to-back losses to conference rivals Delaware and Fairfield.

Hofstra travels to Amherst Friday to take on UMass while Drexel heads to Delaware to take on the Hens.

Huge fourth quarter lifts Towson over Delaware

The Towson men’s lacrosse team outscored Delaware 7-1 in the fourth quarter Saturday, winning 13-7.

The score was even entering the fourth before Towson (5-7, 2-2 CAA) exploded for seven goals led by the trio of redshirt sophomore midfielder Matt Sovero who scored three goals, two of which came in the fourth quarter, redshirt junior attacker Johnny Giuffreda who scored two goals and assisted a goal in the fourth and redshirt senior Jean-Luc Chetner who scored a monster four goals and assisted one.

The Tigers dominated with their offense, having 27 shots on goal that were capped off by 10 in the fourth compared to 12 shots on goal for the Hens all game. They held a solid defense the whole game as well winning 40 ground balls, 18 of which came in the fourth quarter and also winning 22 of 24 faceoffs.

Even in the loss, Delaware had fewer turnovers than Towson, only coughing the ball up eight times compared to Towson’s 13 and also converting more clears and making more saves. It was a crushing loss to a Delaware team that has been trying to get back on track after an inconsistent season.

Towson hosts Fairfield Saturday, while Delaware hosts Drexel Friday.

Javier Melo can be reached at [email protected]