Several areas of campus impacted by power outage

Direct cause remains unknown

(Will Katcher/ Daily Collegian)

(Will Katcher/ Daily Collegian)

(Will Katcher/ Daily Collegian)

(Will Katcher/ Daily Collegian)

By Kathrine Esten, Assistant News Editor

At approximately 11:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 16, several residential areas at the University of Massachusetts lost power during a powerful storm sweeping over Western Massachusetts and southern New England.

In the Commonwealth Honors College, Southwest Residential Area and Northeast Residential Area, students on social media reported flickering lights, partial lights provided by generators or complete outages. Several parts of campus remained unimpacted, with the W.E.B. DuBois Library and other residential areas continuing operation. 

At 11:55 p.m., a representative from the UMass Physical Plant, which is responsible for the custodial, grounds, utilities and building maintenance, stated there was no update on the cause of the outage. As of 12:09 a.m. on Thursday, a cause remained unknown and the University tweeted that facilities crews were working to restore service. 

In a post on the Wildfire app, a student at the University shared a video of a large tree by a tunnel in the Southwest area, apparently brought down by strong winds during the storm. 

According to Eversource, as reported by Western Mass News, over 1,220 residents in Amherst and thousands more in the Pioneer Valley experiencing power outages shortly after midnight. In the same report, Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson stated a section of East Pleasant Street was closed after trees came down onto the roadway. 

The power outages occurred during a flood watch in western Massachusetts, starting from 10 p.m. Wednesday through Thursday morning. A wind advisory was also in effect from 10 p.m. Wednesday to 6 p.m. Thursday, with winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour expected, with gusts of up to 50 miles per hour, according to 22News.

At 12:44 a.m., the University confirmed power had been restored across campus.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Kathrine Esten can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @KathrineEsten.