UMass reports death of undergraduate student, found near McGuirk

Linked to incident outside of McGuirk Stadium on Wednesday night

The University of Massachusetts community was informed of the death of an undergraduate student by email on Thursday.

Erick Kang’Ethe went missing on Sunday and his death was reported Wednesday night outside of McGuirk Alumni Stadium.

Kang’Ethe was a junior computer engineering student, according to the email from associate vice chancellor and interim dean of students, David Vaillancourt.

“Erick has family in the Worcester area and in Washington State,” said the email.

According to MassLive, Kang’Ethe was born in Nairobi, Kenya and was a volunteer with Cultural Exchange through Soccer, a Worcester-based organization. He received a scholarship from the organization and was involved in the group’s youth team, Worcester World Cup.

A March 2019 post on the Cultural Exchange Through Soccer Facebook page said Kang’Ethe graduated from Worcester’s Doherty High School in 2017 and hoped to pursue a master’s degree in security engineering and eventually own his own consulting company.

Deputy Director of the Office of News and Media Relations Mary Dettloff said, “Any further updates on the investigation will come from the Massachusetts State Police and the Hampshire County District Attorney’s Office.”

Cassie McGrath can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @cassiemcgrath_.