Album review: ‘Hackney Diamonds’ by the Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones’ first album in nearly two decades
Photo courtesy of IMDB.

Though the Rolling Stones are not as prominently in the spotlight as they were back in the ‘60s, their legacy is undeniably impressive: timeless hits that have been played countless times, with record sales exceeding 200 million worldwide. Any new release from this iconic band remains a noteworthy event, even in 2023.

The Rolling Stones is back with their new album “Hackney Diamonds,” their first original music since “A Bigger Bang” in 2005. The band pioneered much of the hard rock movement of the 80’s and it is no secret that they are regarded as one of the best rock and roll bands in the world.

A 1981 story in Rolling Stone magazine emphasized that, “the Stones may be the only band on the stadium circuit that’s loose enough to make mistakes, the only band that isn’t afraid to start a number without having the vaguest idea who’s going to take a solo.” After having a couple decades to experiment with their sound, “Hackney Diamonds” takes the listener back to the ‘80s. With big-name features including Paul McCartney, Elton John, Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder, the album has garnered listeners from various genres.

Lead singer Mick Jagger explained that the album title is “like getting your car window screen smashed on a Saturday night in Hackney.” He also named the themes of the album “angry and disgust.”

“Hackney Diamonds” is a testament to the Rolling Stones’ ability to craft timeless rock music. The album consists of 12 tracks, each showcasing the band’s signature bluesy rock sound. Keith Richards’ legendary guitar riffs, Charlie Watts’ metronomic drumming and Mick Jagger’s distinctive vocals hit the listener all at once.

The album starts off with a bang, with the first track “Angry,” and later transitions into a comparatively more mellow sound, with the cover of Muddy Waters’ “Rolling Stone Blues” taking a more rhythmic stance and soft lyrics.

The drumming appears somewhat rhythmic throughout the album. “Angry” attempts to replicate the formula of primitive guitar riffs that lodge themselves in your ear. Beyond the production-focused initial tracks, there is a toned- down feeling to be found in “Bite My Head Off” and “Live by the Sword,” despite the songs’ average lyrics.

“Dreamy Skies” provides a welcome change of pace with its country ballad vibes. “Tell Me Straight,” Keith Richards’ solo vocal contribution to the album, emerges as a hidden gem, reminding us of Richards’ knack for crafting late-career gems, akin to “Thru and Thru” on  “Voodoo Lounge.”

“Sweet Sounds of Heaven” feels like a jam session featuring Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder, even though its structure betrays the fact that it’s not entirely spontaneous. Even the closing cover of Muddy Waters’ “Rolling Stone Blues” is inspired and serves as a fitting tribute. The melodies in the more traditionally rocking tracks often prove memorable by classic rock standards.

Overall,  “Hackney Diamonds” is a satisfying record. It embodies classic rock, consistent with the style the band has honed over the last few decades, and it doesn’t contribute anything groundbreaking to their legacy. Nevertheless, spending time with the Rolling Stones on this album is like reuniting with old friends not seen for a while. The stories they tell might be familiar, with some contemporary touches and occasional questions that deserve deeper exploration.

“Hackney Diamonds” arrives at a pivotal moment in rock music history. The album’s fusion of classic and contemporary elements showcases the band’s timeless relevance. As one of the most iconic rock bands, The Rolling Stones have once again proven their ability to adapt and remain at the forefront of the industry. The release of  “Hackney Diamonds” has generated considerable excitement among fans and critics alike, igniting discussions about the band’s influence on rock music. This album undoubtedly cements The Rolling Stones’ place in the pantheon of rock legends and is certainly a brilliant addition to their discography.

The album blends classic and contemporary elements to create a musical experience that appeals to old and new fans alike. With its exceptional musical composition, thought-provoking lyrics and undeniable impact on the rock music landscape, this album is a testament to the band’s enduring talent.

Kaviya Raja can be reached at [email protected].