Laying a worthwhile foundation

Courtesy of Perfumezilla.com

As a broke college student, I realize that buying high-end makeup products from brands like Bobbi Brown, Chanel, and MAC isn’t always feasible. High-end brands are typically sold in department stores by trained counter personnel. While drugstores and pharmacies offer a wide range of choices, very few of the products can be tested before buying.

So, which products are worth the splurge?

Foundation is the number one product that women should buy high-end. Prices range depending on skin needs, but generally range from $25-$55. There are a number of different formulas out there, including liquid and whipped foundation, as well as tinted moisturizers and mineral powders. I’ve tried it all, from Covergirl to Chanel and found that higher-end foundations have better overall quality. So, what does that even mean? It’s all about the COLOR.

Have you ever seen someone with a mask of foundation on that doesn’t match their skin tone? At one point that someone was me, but I realized that trying to match my skin tone to  closed jar of Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation under CVS  lighting isn’t the best idea.

Purchasing foundation from a high-end makeup counter has its benefits when it comes to matching color. An artist who works at the counter will most likely pick out the right shade of foundation for your skin tone and then test it on your face to be sure. I have wasted money on buying what ended up being the wrong shade of foundation because I couldn’t test the product at the drugstore before buying.

High-end brand foundations more closely match a range of skin tones and different pigments in the skin. Everyone has yellow undertones in their skin. Pink-based foundations look like a mask on most people. According to Bobbi Brown, only one  percent need a pink tone: those who sunburn even in the shade. So with this in mind, it’s important to be on the look-out for yellow-based products. Brands like Bobbi Brown pride themselves on offering these yellow-based foundations that range anywhere from $38-$55 depending on your skin’s needs.

We want our foundation to make our skin look better, not worse. It’s important to invest in foundation because it literally is the foundation and base of your makeup. It makes a huge difference in an overall look. High-end brands achieve a more natural result, are longer-lasting, and offer coverage that you can build upon. Most lines offer foundation that not only match different skin tones, but skin types. Some of the best are Bobbi Brown’ Liquid Foundation SPF 15, NARS Sheer Matte Foundation, and MAC Mineralize Satin Finish SPF 15 Foundation all under fifty dollars.

Nelly Adamietz can be reached for comment at [email protected].