Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SGA spring elections campaigns kick off -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass must contain Bembry in rematch with St. Joe’s -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chaz Williams returns from his stint overseas, signs contract with Maine Red Claws -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

How to decorate your dorm for the holidays

Courtesy of Kate Casler

It’s time to get in to the spirit for the holidays, but in college and it can be a little more difficult to do that. I’ve been working on finding the best way to decorate my suite with my roommates, and we’ve had a great time doing it! So I’ve come up with another round of dorm decorating ideas. You can use these tips even if you’re off campus too. Best of all, everything is cheap!

1. Snowflakes

Snowflakes are great, simple decorations that can be put up no matter what holiday you celebrate. I bought a stack of 160 coffee filters from the dollar store, which is far more than I’ll ever need, but who knows, the extras could come in handy. Just fold the coffee filters in half and the keep on folding until you can’t anymore. Then cut out whatever design you want! You can do it free hand or look up patterns. If any of you are nerds out there like me, here are some links to Doctor Who and Star Wars snowflake patterns.

Star Wars: http://anthonyherreradesigns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:star-wars-snowflakes&catid=34:anthonydesign-blog

Doctor Who:

http://www.geeksugar.com/How-Doctor-Who-Snowflakes-20909447

2. Lights

My roommates and I still have our lights up that I talked about in my Halloween decorating blog (if any of you are actually following) and I’m so glad we got them. They’re blue, so they’re perfect to keep up for all of winter. Ours are up in our common room bordering the walls. Feel free to put yours in your room, around your desk, on the door, or if you have your own place, outside (gee, who would have thought of that). This is probably the most expensive thing on this list (but still under $20), but its well worth it and reusable.

3. Stockings

Okay so this only really applies to those of you who celebrate Christmas, but hang tight everyone else, there is still more to come for you!

Target has felt stockings that you can get for just a couple of dollars (or if you’re really creative you can make your own stocking). The best part about this is everyone gets to decorate their own stocking! My roommates and I even made a night of it. All we had was glitter glue, coffee filter snowflakes, and some extra pieces of felt. We put on Christmas music and got creative with each of our stockings. So on top of a cute decoration, it’s fun to make!

4. Construction paper is your best friend

Get a big stack of construction paper, and you have endless options. For starters, you can make a paper chain, simple but still decorative and you can make it with whatever colors are appropriate for you! Also, cut out some block letters and spell out whatever fun messages you want. “Let it Snow” is on one of my walls, while “Merry Christmas” is on the other, but you can make it say whatever you like! Get creative!

There are so many simple, fun, and cheap decoration ideas out there, but these are just a few to get you started. Happy holidays and have fun decorating!

Kate Casler can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.