Police Log: Friday, April 3 to Sunday, April 5, 2015

(Zoe Mervine/Daily Collegian)
(Zoe Mervine/Daily Collegian)

Friday, April 3

9:10 p.m.: Police responded to a 911 call about a suspicious person ringing the doorbell at a home on Hulst Road. The caller reported looking into the yard and seeing a man standing there. The caller turned on the outside lights and saw new footprints that belonged to an adult and child. A police dog was dispatched to track a scent. The dog lost the scent and eventually became distracted by two people walking a dog.

10:06 p.m.: Police responded to a report of vandalism at the Townehouse Apartments. An individual reported his vehicle had been damaged two weeks ago when he saw one of his taillights had been smashed out. He noticed the other taillight had been smashed out that day. The vehicle was parked in a parking lot near his apartment. Police noted that there was no damage to the body of the car, just the taillights. Police have no suspects at this time.

11:47 p.m.: Benjamin Perrett, 24, of Amherst, Nolan Dearent, 22, of Dudley, and John Milos, 22, of Oxford, were arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw following a loud party. Police responded to complaints of loud music, a live band and people inside and outside of a home on Bridge Street. Both residents and guests were uncooperative with police. Some guests asked if the police had anything better to do. One guest refused to leave the residence after the party and was placed under arrest for contributing to the noise.

Saturday, April 3

12:43 a.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint for a loud party somewhere near the caller’s home on Pelham Street early Saturday morning. Police encountered a large, loud party with music coming from the basement. The residents were fully cooperative with the police in clearing out the party.

12:46 a.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint of two houses throwing parties on South East Street. Residents worked to clear excessive guests from their homes following a warning from police about the potential for future responses.

1:00 a.m.: Police encountered four individuals walking around Amherst Golf Club early Saturday morning. The individuals claimed that it was “neat with the fog being so thick.” Police sent them on their way.
1:09 a.m.: Police responded to complaints of stomping and banging from an apartment in Echo Village on Gatehouse Road. Police found the noise was coming from the residents who were playing video games in their apartment.

1:23 a.m.: Police responded to reports of a disturbance at the Theta Chi house on North Pleasant Street. Four males refused to leave a party and were hanging around the parking lot. The caller reported that the men were walking toward the Fine Arts Center. One individual spoke with police and explained they had been asked to leave the party and that his friends began to cause a scene by not leaving. Police directed the remaining individual to leave the area and he complied.

1:41 a.m.: Police responded to reports of a suspicious motor vehicle on North Pleasant Street and Hallock Street. Two females reportedly fell from the vehicle onto the road. The vehicle had been parked and the females were intoxicated. There were no injuries sustained and the two females did not want to speak with police.

1:51 a.m.: Police were called back to an apartment in Echo Village concerning a noise complaint for banging and stomping. The police found the residents were still playing video games but were not acting unreasonably or unruly upon the officer’s arrival. Police advised the residents to keep the noise to a minimum.

2:05 a.m.: Police issued a verbal warning to a vehicle operator near North Pleasant Street and Old Town Road about stuffing passengers into the rear cargo area of the vehicle.

10:31 a.m.: Police responded to reports of vandalism to a window at the Theta Chi house on North Pleasant Street. An individual reported a pint glass was thrown through a window while he was lying in bed. The individual is unaware of who did it.

5:20 p.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint at the Rolling Green Apartments. The caller reported loud bass music coming from the apartment below and stated the problem was ongoing. Both parties had noise issues with each other at different hours of the day and police had a lengthy conversation with the two about the matter. Both individuals agreed to lower the noise during these hours and to attempt to live in harmony.

5:22 p.m.: Police responded to a 911 call from a mother who was concerned because her daughter had too much coffee. The caller reported her daughter was agitated and was throwing things around the house.

11:43 p.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint at the Colonial Village Apartments. The caller indicated that their neighbor was yelling and banging on the walls and that they did not believe anyone was with the individual. Police investigated but did not hear anything and no one answered the door.

11:45 p.m.: Police responded to a 911 call about a disturbance at the Colonial Village Apartments. The caller stated that an intoxicated individual was acting out of control and was threatening people with a knife. The caller claimed to be at a different apartment number and the call was disconnected. Police called back and noted that the caller sounded intoxicated. The caller stated he knew the individual and that he became oddly confrontational and was then kicked out of the apartment following a verbal argument. The caller indicated that there was no longer a problem or a need for police assistance and confirmed the correct apartment number.

Sunday, April 5

1:00 a.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint at the Boulders Apartment Homes. The caller noted the apartment below was having a party with loud music. Police found a small gathering and following a warning for noise, they turned down their music.

1:09 a.m.: Police responded to another noise complaint at the Colonial Village Apartments following a report of an individual screaming again. Police did not hear any noise when they arrived.

1:16a.m.: Police responded to a report of vandalism at Russell’s Liquors after a 911 caller reported two males broke the front window of the store. The owner was called to assess the damage and stated nothing was taken.

2:16 a.m.: Police responded to a noise complaint at the Southpoint Apartments. Police found a small gathering of females listening to music and drinking. The group was cooperative and turned the music down.

2:35 a.m.: Police responded to reports of a fight at the Rolling Green Apartments. The caller reported a fight between three or four males who were related. The resident later indicated that the roommates were highly intoxicated and that they calmed them down and put them to bed before the police arrived.

Kathleen Kirk can be reached at [email protected].