UMPD reportedly requests assistance from DA concerning reported rape

By Anthony Rentsch

The University of Massachusetts Police Department has asked for assistance from the Northwestern District Attorney’s office investigating a reported rape reported last month, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Patrick Archbald, UMPD interim chief, told the Gazette that the male suspect was immediately identified but invoked his right to remain silent. The Gazette reported that the suspect has not been charged.

According to the crime log on the UMPD’s website, the alleged rape in the Southwest Residential Area was reported to the police in the early morning hours of Saturday, Sept. 19.

Archbald also told the Gazette that the case was forwarded to the Northwestern District Attorney’s office, which is typical in cases where suspects could be charged with felonies based on the investigation. Archbald and a spokesperson for the district attorney’s office said this was done to assist the investigation and that it would be a joint decision to file charges.

The request for assistant from the district attorney comes on the heels of the University releasing its annual security report. According to the document, reported incidents of rape were cut in half between 2013 and 2014, dropping from 21 to 11 in that span.

On Tuesday, Oct. 6, Adam Liccardi, the third of four men accused of raping a then University student in her Southwest dorm in 2012, was sentenced to eight to 12 years in state prison.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.